Using Rit Dye to Keep Things Looking New

I found a great way to make my clothing have a new look. I use the Rit dye to change the color of faded or to alter the color of clothing. I even recently dyed my white towels that were still plush, but didn't have that crisp white look anymore. I used a fraction of the purple dye to make a soft lavender.

They came out beautiful.

I also looked online for 'recipes' for custom dye colors, using the basic colors found at the store, to make colors such as aqua and apricot. I even thought of dying my white sheets a pretty color to match my duvet cover. Lots of possibilities. Have fun!

By S. Mart

Top Comment

Another tip I discovered, is to disolve the dye in some of the hot water, but NOT while the washer is filling, or you get dye particles everywhere in, on, and around your machine! I did that and what a mess to clean up! I dye my jeans when they lose their new color and it sure works.

Top Comment

I use 1 cup of salt in the rinse water in my machine to set dye. I've been able to wear the same few pairs of black jeans for years by dyeing them when they get too faded.

And I've been known to dye a pair of black pants after forgetting that tissue in the pocket. You've never done that? Sometimes I just can't get all the lint off so I dye them black again-problem solved.

By mfuncare (Guest Post)

What do you use to keep the dye color? Wont it fade and wash out?

By debbie (Guest Post)

RIT dye is permanent , trust me. you'd have to bleach it out. just be very careful when you use the stuff, follow the directions exactly, and you'll be pleased with the results. i'd like a link to the sites for the custom color recipes please. thanx

By Racer (Guest Post)

I use the easter egg dye to do the same thing. I dissolve it in warm water and put small items of clothing in it. Usually if a child's clothes is stained by a color I cannot get out, I will choose that color to dye the clothing.

It is not as dark as the rit dye but it works nicely in a pastel color.

By aLLiEE (Guest Post)

HOW CAN I MAKE THE DYE TO COLOR MY CLOTHING ?

By kerri (Guest Post)

so What do you do when your daughter drops it in the washer with her school clothes? Can't think of what to do to get it out. Hope is there a way?
thedashingconcierge @ comcast.net (remove spaces)

By laura (Guest Post)

lol. I googled rit dye towels and came here. I used purple to dye my dingy towels today and I totally screwed myself, I didn't wet the fabric before I put it in the dye bath, or let everything dissolve before I put them in there.

Yup. Be very careful, I'm still trying to fix them. I think it may be hopeless, but it would have turned out beautiful if I would have followed the directions. LOL. Oh well. You live you learn.