Using RIT Dye In A Washing Machine

I'm using RIT dye for the first time. Is it completely washing machine safe? I want to use my mother's machine and she is understandably nervous about damage or staining. I don't want to stain her bathtub either. Are there any other methods for RIT dying a lot of linen/cotton fabric (I'm going for a dark brown)?

Moondog from Tusla, OK

Using RIT Dye In A Washing Machine

I always use RIT dye and it works great. Like others have said, just follow the directions and run an empty load w/bleach and water only. The tip of using two envelopes for darker colors, too, is a good one.
I understand your mom's doubt, though.---so, if you'd like her to just feel better, you can do the same thing in a large pot on the stove. (directions are on the inside of the RIT box) ;-) (04/11/2006)

By gcmom7

Using RIT Dye In A Washing Machine

I have used Rit dye in machines since the 70's
( i was very YOUNG then) but it has always worked
follow the directions make sure your clothes are
WET when you put them in to dye and yes use
2 packs for lots of clothes and add the salt
it recommends for the color to stay longer.
Machines clean up fine with bleach water mix.
Have fun. My hubby was shocked before when he
saw me do this he thought I would ruin machine
clothes now he asks me to do it.

By meoowmom

Using RIT Dye In A Washing Machine

I've used Rit for years and had good results. You just can't dye something polyester as it just won't take. Anyway, The very top edge of the washer basket is stained because even tho I cleaned it afterwards as directed, the water level didn't go that high. I also got some staining on the top of the agitator and on the softener dispenser. I really don't care tho as who's gonna see it? I could probably take something and get it off if I really wanted to go to the trouble. I don't see why you couldn't use a very large bucket to do the dying. It depends on how much you are trying to dye tho. I recently dyed some older hand-knit dishcloths in a very pretty green to match my new kitchen decor. They were country blue and took the dye very well and now it's like I have new dishcloths! I'd had the dye sitting around for years probably so I got rid of it plus got some almost new dishcloths at the same time. Dying can give new life to something old! (04/13/2006)

By Debbie52

Using RIT Dye In A Washing Machine

I've never had any problems using Rit in the washing machine--and as for bleeding onto other clothing, just be sure to wash the item with similar colors (blue with blue/black, for instance). (08/13/2007)

By Cheryl

Using RIT Dye in a Washing Machine
Making a quilt square on a home sewing machine.
Machine Quilting on a Home Sewing Machine
Washing Machine
Extending the Life of Your Washing Machine
Sink with hair dye stains
Removing Hair Dye from a Bathroom Sink
Red Hair Dye
Removing Hair Dye Stains from a Bathtub