Using Your Leftover Vegetables

I receive a lot of praise over my varied and really good "homemade" vegetable soup. The way I get the ingredients for my soup is after each meal, instead of putting my left over vegetables (even if it is only a tablespoon) in the refrigerator, I do this.

I pour most of the liquid out (only reserving a small amount) and then pour all into a plastic container that I keep in my freezer for this purpose. I use a large see through container so that I can see through at a glance what vegetable are stacking up but any would serve the purpose. This also helps me make sure that I'm not stuck in a rut of serving the same old vegetables too often.

When my container is full, I will thaw and put all into a crock pot to simmer on low. I normally don't have to add anything but maybe some tomatoes.

Source: Too cheap to throw out and not enough to serve another meal.

By Notwrong

Answers:

Using Your Leftover Vegetables

I do this, too. I add any leftover mashed potatoes which tends to thicken the soup a little. Also if I want some meat in there I will often just make meat balls, for the flavor. A pan of cornbread and we're all set for a meal that is almost free! (10/01/2009)

By grammy237