Browsing: Washing Your Hair With Hard Water

Share a SolutionAsk a Question

Washing Your Hair With Hard Water

If you live in an area with hard water you know how difficult it can be to get your hair really clean. This is a guide about washing your hair with hard water.

Washing Your Hair
Filter: All Articles Sort: Relevance

September 12, 2010 Flag

Can you use pink lemonade instead of regular lemonade when doing a Malibu treatment at home?

By Stacy from Pinconning, MI

Answer This QuestionWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Omg, this actually works. I just moved a few months ago and have terrible water (even though we have a sofener) that has turned my hair from pretty blonde to disgusting, limp, orange brassy hair. I was pretty skeptical of some of the crazy Internet "fixes" but I was at the point today of chopping it off or dying it brown. It was really depressing me.

Anyhow, I did a test section and it worked. Then I did the rest of my head. No more rust! Back to blonde! Going to invest in a shower filter too, but at least this got me back to blonde! Thank you Kool Aid! I will also mention that my natural color is light brown, my blonde color is from highlights in case you're wondering about color safeness.

Worked great for my hair although I don't know if it would have the same effect on darker hair. I feel so much better! Plus, all the tackiness and dullness is gone, my hair is light and fluffy and shiny (and did I say blonde?!)

My hair is a rusty mess. I had beautiful bleach blonde hair until I moved out into the country and the rust ruined it. I go into a big depression over my hair and i don't know what to do. Any ideas?

Everyone keeps saying be careful the home remedies can turn your hair orange. I am a brunette who lives in the country. We have a water softener and use rust away salt. Ever since we moved here (last July) my hair is orange! It almost looks blonde on the ends! My hair use to be healthy, and so dark people said I had black hair! Now it's frizzy and looks like rust! Is the OTC or home remedy going to make it more orange?

I moved in with my boyfriend in Wasilla, Alaska 3 years ago and his ridiculously iron-rich well water turned my blonde hair bright red. It was depressing frankly and even the super-pricey salon fix only half-worked and did not last. Then I saw this online and tried one more time.

I started this experiment with Country Time Lemonade Mix thinking one brand as good as another and pasted that on. A sticky mess and terrible disappointment! My friend laughed at me, wow, you really are a blonde and steered me toward Koolaid Lemonade packets sans sugar. It worked. It freaking flipping worked! I am joyful.

gNyUHE Just to let you know your web page looks a little bit unusual in Safari on my notebook with Linux.

February 3, 2011 Flag

How do I keep the iron in hard water from ruining my hair?

By Stacy from Milton, DE

Ditto with using the apple cider vinegar rinse. :-)

Boil the water before your use it to get all of the 'yuckies' out of it. That is also how 'distilled water' is made if anyone wants to know, why buy distilled water when all you have to do is boil it, cool it off and use it. Good luck with your situation!

Just a quick clarification to the response by Paula Jo Carr. Boiling water doesn't turn it into distilled water, it just kills any bacteria. Distillation is the process of boiling the water and re-condensing the steam into a clean container, leaving contaminants behind.

To make distilled water from boiling water, you have to capture the steam created during the boiling process and direct it into a second vessel, such as through those coiled tubes you see in a laboratory. The steam re-condenses into water in the second vessel and that water is distilled.

The boiled water in the pan is bacteria free, but not free of all of the original metals and elements, such as iron and manganese which make the water "hard." Those are still present after simply boiling.

My mom lives where ther is so much iron in her well water that you can see it, & she has to buy her drinking water. She has always used a cider vinegar rinse on her hair after her shampoo & even though her hair is very fine, she is always complimented by her hairdressers on how soft & pretty it is.

Try taking a little shampoo and mix in some salt. I have read that this is very helpful as the salt softens hard water.

March 18, 2014 Flag

I just moved into my new apt. and it has really bad hard water. My hair feels like it's covered in wax, when I get out and it takes 10x longer to blow dry. I use Tresemee shampoo and conditioner everyday, but should I switch it up to a shampoo that will help me with my hair dilemma? If so what kind?

By Jenna E.

A vinegar rinse each time (google to find the proper proportions of vinegar and water) If it doesn't help try using a clarifying shampoo once a month, more often if you shampoo more than a couple times per week. Your usual shampoo brand likely also sells a clarifying formula as well. Both of these things help remove buildup on your hair. Also, look at your shampoo, conditioner, and any styling products you use-read the ingredients, looking for silicones and other -cones or -ones: these can coat your hair and make the effects of hard water even more difficult to handle.

If you have any way of collecting it, you'd be best off washing your hair with rainwater, which is naturally soft.

Try rinsing your hair with a solution of apple cider vinegar and water. 50/50

I heard wash with baking soda and rinse with vinegar, vinegar smell goes away as you rinse. Please let us know how this went.

Try rinsing with a capful of vinegar. Pour on, rub and rinse with water. This will help make your hair softer and it will feel cleaner. Be careful not to get it in your eyes.

December 29, 2009 Flag

We have hard water in our home. Having a water softener is a long way away. So I was wondering if anyone can suggest a shampoo that can handle hard water? I find my hair is dull and flat with the build up. Any suggestions?

April 27, 2005 Flag

Does anyone know how to get well water build up out of hair?

Sandy from Maryland

June 24, 2013 Flag

You can buy special shampoo and conditioner for hard and soft water areas. Try the brand AreaH20 at lookfantastic.com or other places online.

February 3, 2011 Flag

Does anyone know of a good way to neutralize the effects hard water has on hair? Our water here is very hard and my hair seems damaged from it, even the color gets a reddish tint to it only a week or two after I color it (usually medium ash blonde).

Any suggestions?

Tamisuemcp from MO

Answers:

Washing Your Hair With Hard Water

I don't know if this will help you or not. A beautician once told my daughter and me to add a teaspoon or two of baking soda to our shampoo. Hope it helps you. (01/03/2007)

By Darlene

Washing Your Hair With Hard Water

Adding a little lemon juice to the water you use to rinse your hair can also eliminate hard water deposits.
from: http://www.richfeel.com/articles4.htm

I also heard that giving your hair "oil treatments" once in a while helps. (01/03/2007)

By eyelovecats

Washing Your Hair With Hard Water

I had to finally get a water filter put on the kitchen faucet. I think you can also find the hand shower sprays with a filter on it now to filter out all the bad stuff. I have noticed a big difference. I just have to wash my hair at the kitchen sink instead of in the shower. Walmart is the most inexpensive place to purchase it that I am aware of. (06/10/2007)

By rc1965

December 29, 2009 Flag

Has anyone found a natural, organic daily shampoo and/or conditioner that works well with hard water? Our hair is so dull. Thanks.

Health & Beauty Beauty Hair Tips WashingJanuary 28, 2013
Water Softener
Buying a Water Softener
washing machine drum
Cleaning Hard Water Stains in a Washing Machine Drum
Up close photo of red, wavy hair.
Homemade Hair Dye Recipes
Red Hair Dye
Removing Hair Dye Stains from a Bathtub
© 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on September 13, 2016 at 12:17:19 PM on 10.0.1.197 in 6 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.