Browsing: Washing Your Hair With Hard Water

Share a SolutionAsk a Question

Washing Your Hair With Hard Water

If you live in an area with hard water you know how difficult it can be to get your hair really clean. This is a guide about washing your hair with hard water.

Washing Your Hair
Filter: All Articles Sort: Relevance

September 12, 2010 Flag

Can you use pink lemonade instead of regular lemonade when doing a Malibu treatment at home?

By Stacy from Pinconning, MI

Answer This QuestionWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

My hair is a rusty mess. I had beautiful bleach blonde hair until I moved out into the country and the rust ruined it. I go into a big depression over my hair and i don't know what to do. Any ideas?

Everyone keeps saying be careful the home remedies can turn your hair orange. I am a brunette who lives in the country. We have a water softener and use rust away salt. Ever since we moved here (last July) my hair is orange! It almost looks blonde on the ends! My hair use to be healthy, and so dark people said I had black hair! Now it's frizzy and looks like rust! Is the OTC or home remedy going to make it more orange?

I moved in with my boyfriend in Wasilla, Alaska 3 years ago and his ridiculously iron-rich well water turned my blonde hair bright red. It was depressing frankly and even the super-pricey salon fix only half-worked and did not last. Then I saw this online and tried one more time.

I started this experiment with Country Time Lemonade Mix thinking one brand as good as another and pasted that on. A sticky mess and terrible disappointment! My friend laughed at me, wow, you really are a blonde and steered me toward Koolaid Lemonade packets sans sugar. It worked. It freaking flipping worked! I am joyful.

gNyUHE Just to let you know your web page looks a little bit unusual in Safari on my notebook with Linux.

Read More Answers...

February 3, 2011 Flag

How do I keep the iron in hard water from ruining my hair?

By Stacy from Milton, DE

Boil the water before your use it to get all of the 'yuckies' out of it. That is also how 'distilled water' is made if anyone wants to know, why buy distilled water when all you have to do is boil it, cool it off and use it. Good luck with your situation!

Just a quick clarification to the response by Paula Jo Carr. Boiling water doesn't turn it into distilled water, it just kills any bacteria. Distillation is the process of boiling the water and re-condensing the steam into a clean container, leaving contaminants behind.

To make distilled water from boiling water, you have to capture the steam created during the boiling process and direct it into a second vessel, such as through those coiled tubes you see in a laboratory. The steam re-condenses into water in the second vessel and that water is distilled.

The boiled water in the pan is bacteria free, but not free of all of the original metals and elements, such as iron and manganese which make the water "hard." Those are still present after simply boiling.

My mom lives where ther is so much iron in her well water that you can see it, & she has to buy her drinking water. She has always used a cider vinegar rinse on her hair after her shampoo & even though her hair is very fine, she is always complimented by her hairdressers on how soft & pretty it is.

Try taking a little shampoo and mix in some salt. I have read that this is very helpful as the salt softens hard water.

Read More Answers...

March 18, 2014 Flag

I just moved into my new apt. and it has really bad hard water. My hair feels like it's covered in wax, when I get out and it takes 10x longer to blow dry. I use Tresemee shampoo and conditioner everyday, but should I switch it up to a shampoo that will help me with my hair dilemma? If so what kind?

By Jenna E.

If you have any way of collecting it, you'd be best off washing your hair with rainwater, which is naturally soft.

Try rinsing your hair with a solution of apple cider vinegar and water. 50/50

I heard wash with baking soda and rinse with vinegar, vinegar smell goes away as you rinse. Please let us know how this went.

Try rinsing with a capful of vinegar. Pour on, rub and rinse with water. This will help make your hair softer and it will feel cleaner. Be careful not to get it in your eyes.

Read More Answers...

December 29, 2009 Flag

We have hard water in our home. Having a water softener is a long way away. So I was wondering if anyone can suggest a shampoo that can handle hard water? I find my hair is dull and flat with the build up. Any suggestions?

By Sheila from Ontario, Canada

We have hard water also. We use sunlight dish soap to wash our hair. Works great.

Ion purifying solutions Hard Water Shampoo. Made by: Professional Products, Inc.

We have well water so our water is hard also. I use no special brand shampoos but I do use a different shampoo once a week to wash out the hair oil, hairspray build-up, gels & mousses, etc & if wish to, put white vinegar in a spray bottle to keep in the shower & after done washing hair, spray hair all over, distribute with fingers then leave in or rinse out. The smell of the vinegar will dissipate & does not stay plus it makes your hair shiny & soft. Hope this helps,

Hi, Sheila,

I got this suggestion from ThriftyFun last year and I have used it satisfactorily ever since: Mix baking soda (bicarbonate of soda) into liquid shampoo (I use SunSilk 'anti-flat' shampoo) to make a paste. Wet your hair very well, then scoop out about a tablespoon of the mixture, rub it between your hands, and work it through your hair. You might need to repeat this for the first time or so until your hair is rid of the hard-water buildup.

The baking soda is really cheap, so it extends your shampoo. You can add a little warm water to the mixture and put it into a bottle; be sure to shake it up (end over end) before using to mix it well. You can use a vinegar spray if you want, but even with our very hard water, I get good results with a small amount of SunSilk conditioner ('anti-flat' formula) rinsed out very well, and my naturally wavy hair is soft and bouncy.

Good luck, Nancy in NC

Read More Answers...

April 27, 2005 Flag

Does anyone know how to get well water build up out of hair?

Sandy from Maryland

June 24, 2013 Flag

You can buy special shampoo and conditioner for hard and soft water areas. Try the brand AreaH20 at lookfantastic.com or other places online.

February 3, 2011 Flag

Does anyone know of a good way to neutralize the effects hard water has on hair?

Load More
Health & Beauty Beauty Hair Tips WashingJanuary 28, 2013
Water Softener
Buying a Water Softener
washing machine drum
Cleaning Hard Water Stains in a Washing Machine Drum
Up close photo of red, wavy hair.
Homemade Hair Dye Recipes
Red Hair Dye
Removing Hair Dye Stains from a Bathtub
© 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on August 26, 2016 at 11:11:04 AM on 10.0.0.32 in 4 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.