Cleaning Hard Water Stains in a Washing Machine Drum

Category Appliances
Hard water can leave deposits on the tub of your washing machine. This is a guide about cleaning hard water stains in a washing machine drum.

I have a gray enamel top-loader washer. There are white water marks around the rim of the tub. I do not use bleach, so I'm not sure what caused the stains. Any suggestions on how to remove them?

By Toni L

Answers

You can try making a paste out of baking soda and vinegar. Leave the past on the marks for about 30 minutes and then scrub with a soft sponge. This should remove the watermarks.

Barkeeper's Friend will remove it.

How do you clean the hard water scum from above the water line in the washing machine?

Mindy from Phoenix, Arizona

Answers

By Debra in Colorado (Guest Post)

Run your washer with hot water and vinegar no clothes this should elimanate the hard water line and clean out your hoses too.

White vinegar is a great cleaner. I would wet a cleaning cloth with it and rub the soap scum off.

Does anyone know of a way to clean the inside of a top loading washing machine? The drum inside has a lot of hard water stains in it. I would like to find a homemade cleaner I can use. Thank you for any information you have.

By Linda Delcamp from Brighton, MI

Answers

A cup of vinegar will work wonderders for getting rid of that funky smell. Either put it in the soap dispenser or directly into the drum and wash on the express wash. Leaving the door open between loads also helps because it lets the drum and seals dry out a bit and doesnt let mildew grow.