Will My Child Receive SSI?

Will my child whose father receives SSI or SSD receive monthly payments of her own?

Ruth from OH

Answers:

Will My Child Receive SSI?

Yes, I believe your child is entitled to Social Security until the age of 18. Even then the child can receive it if they go to college. Please contact your local Social Security Office. Good luck. (01/30/2009)

By Carol in PA

Will My Child Receive SSI?

Yes, if the father is receiving disability. The child will receive 1/2 the amount of the father. If dad gets 1000 the son gets 500. I don't know how SSI works. Hope this is helpful. (01/30/2009)

By Rebecca

Will My Child Receive SSI?

SSI is based on need. If your household (the household where the child lives) is above a certain amount, your child won't qualify. You should contact your local Social Security office to find out.
Best to you! (01/30/2009)

By JustPlainJo

Will My Child Receive SSI?

Our daughter received Social Security because she was under 18 when her dad retired. It could continue until the completion of college in some cases. Social Security determined that she was legally disabled at age 18 (physical and mental handicaps). To get her SSI she had to have less than $2000 in assets (set up a trust fund if needed for the excess). She did not qualify for SSI at first because I didn't understand fully what her Social Security expenses could be used for. You need to document that the child is spending his/her share of utilities and food before SSI can be awarded. Be also aware that whoever is the child's Social Security "guardian" will have to file annual reports on how the monies were spent, so keep receipts. (01/30/2009)

By Nell's Mom

Will My Child Receive SSI?

Yes, your child or children would receive SSD if your husband gets it but it is not half the amount. I'm not sure how they calculate it. My husband is disabled and gets $569 a month (after Medicare expenses) and our son gets $145.00. We had another baby and I asked about money for him, but they said they would just split the $145 between both kids until the older one turns 18 and then the baby will get all of it. (01/31/2009)

By Cindy S.

Will My Child Receive SSI?

She would not receive SSI as that is based on need, but would require her to be disabled (as well as meeting the $2000 limit in assets/resources). If the father receives SS benefits based on retirement or disability, she would receive benefits as the child of a retired/disabled parent. If the father only receives SSI (but not retirement or disability), she would not be eligible for benefits. The difference between SSI and SSD is that SSD is based on whether or not you worked and paid in, whereas SSI is not. The amount a child receives from the disabled parent's claim is determined by how much the parent draws. If there is more than one child, the child amount is split between the children. Once you contact SSA and provide proof of relationship (daughter), they will let you know what she qualifies for. Hope this helps. (02/01/2009)

By gonecrazyhunting

Will My Child Receive SSI?

My children received SSD benefits when their father became disabled and after he died, up to the age of 18. There is not a provision for SSD benefits after age 18, even if they go to college. Benefits terminate at the age of 18 or at the end of their post-secondary education (which is high school, not college). (02/04/2009)

By Belzin

Childs cupped hands holding coins
Will My Child Receive SSI?
Childs Car Seat
Decorating a Child's Car Seat
Parenting an Autistic Child, Diamond shaped traffic sign warning, autistic child area.
Parenting an Autistic Child
older blind woman sitting on a bench
Receiving Supplemental Security Income (SSI)
Husband and Wife holding a baby
Adopting a Child
🎉
🎄