Does Receiving Inheritance Affect SSI?

SSI or Social Security Supplemental Insurance assistance is provided to aged, blind, and disabled people with low incomes. This is a guide about, "Does receiving an inheritance affect SSI?".

If my dad passes away and the house is given to me will it affect my SSI benefits? Is there a limit on the money that I am allowed to have before my SSI benefits are taken?

Answers

Best Answer

You are allowed a certain amount of assets. You need to see Social Security in person with all relevant documentation.

Best Answer

This is a question that only the Social Security Office can answer because no two "cases" are alike.

I believe you should keep good records of what is happening with your dad and once the will is settled would be the time to check out your options with your local SS office.

A lot may depend on the actual value of the house and not all states treat "recovery" money the same way. Some states do place an attachment on property but no matter what - you still have to report your inheritance to the SS Administration and wait for their decision.

I would suggest that you call Social Security benefits and check on this situation.

Depends on the amounts and such. You need to make an appointment AFTER he passes away and the will is settled, with your social security office.