Staying on Medicaid After Marriage

Medicaid eligibility is based on income. Marriage and the resulting change in income may make someone ineligible. This is a guide about staying on Medicaid after marriage.

Marriage after Medicaid in Florida: My fiance and I are engaged when we found out I am expecting. I chose to get on Medicaid since I work part time and job doesn't provide health insurance and we did not have a date set for marriage. He wanted to get me on his insurance but could not be done because we are not married. I did get Medicaid and WIC.

I wanted to know if I would be penalized in some way, by staying on Medicaid after marriage. Would they check on that later in the state of Florida or not? I couldn't find anything on it. Any help would be greatly appreciated, thanks!

Terri from Florida

Answers

Anonymous
Best Answer

For the sake of your baby's health just wait until after your baby's birth to get married and maybe even for a year after if necessary. Although untimely, what has happened has happened and you both need to think of your little one having a good and healthy beginning. Commitment to each other in the heart is much more important than a hastily signed piece of paper in order to be/appear proper.

After the birth, should you plan to marry right away, you will need to find out how long it will be before your baby is covered on his policy. Talk to your case worker now and in the future honestly about your complete situation and questions. Weigh the options carefully before making a decision.

I recently got married and we had a child in February. I am on Medicaid and my husband makes $54,000 (gross income) yearly. Would my daughter and I still be eligible for Medicaid?

Answers

The answer would most likely be no but you should check with medicaid to be sure. Legally, you most likely should have already notified medicaid about your present family situation as using medicaid may make you responsible for any payment they make after your situation changed.
You do not say how long you have been married or if you used medicaid after you got married but you should be very careful as this is a government agency and they have very strict rules.

Also, does your husband have health insurance? Has he placed you and your child on his coverage?

Most likely not. Your state should have a website that gives the income guidelines. If he has insurance, by law you are required to use it rather than medicaid and he would have have to have added you within 30 days of the marriage, or within 30 days of your medicaid stopping.

Medicaid can consider your "household" income, which can include your spouse's income, so the answer could be that you will make too much money to qualify.

If you do not have a job, your husbands company should be covering you free or at a lower cost as well as your child.

You are supposed to update Medicaid of your recent marriage status. And since the income he makes is enough - no longer low income.

Was your daughter born before you got married? If not, I HIGHLY suggest you consult an attorney before you call medicaid. Once you got married your rights substantially changed in every financial situation imaginable, and you need to stop taking any medicaid benefits for you and your daughter until you are told whether or not you're still covered, or you and your husband could be looking at HUGE bills.

No, that is too much income to be eligible.

possibly

I got married on the 20th and Medicaid advised me to get down there by the 10th to notify them of his income. Does that mean I need to go before the tenth or can I go on that day? I am asking because I need to take the day off from work if it's before the 10th exactly.

Answers

By the 10th means the 10th or before.

Medicaid is just asking for an update on your family income status.

• Your letter gives you instructions to supply them with an update "no later than the 10th".
  • That means anytime between now and the 10th of the month.
  • No special day is required.
  • Will you be able to make an appointment so your wait will be a shorter period of time?
  • If you can make an appointment you may not have to take a whole day off from work as your wait time may be less than an hour.
  • Remember to take any documentation they have requested.
  • Maybe your husband's last pay stubs? Or anything showing his salary.
  • It is possible your family income has increased to the point that you will no longer qualify for Medicaid.

Congratulations on your marriage and wishes for many happy years in your future.

Exactly what Judy said 10 th or before.

Any day up to and including the 10th. I'm usually in a hurry to get things like that straight so I usually go asap ;) Good luck.

I recently got married and we had a child in June. I am on Medicaid and my husband makes $10000 (gross income) yearly. Would my son and I still be eligible for Medicaid?

Answers

I am assuming you had your child (doctor and hospital) with Medicaid funds so it seems you should have asked this question some time ago.
If $10,000 is your husband's gross salary then you will probably still qualify for Medicaid but even if that is the case you are legally required to notify Medicaid anytime there are changes in your living status. What was your annual income when you first applied for Medicaid? Perhaps you are also receiving food stamps, if that is the case, then the next question would be, have you notified that office of your present situation? Any other government assistance you may be receiving (housing?) fall under the same laws and it is your legal responsibility (you signed a form stating this law) to notify them of any changing. Most need to be notified within 30 days of any change but it does not matter now - you should notify every agency involved as soon as possible and this has to be done in writing or in person.

As for Medicaid - here is a link that you can follow and find out if you qualify under your present living conditions.

https://www.hhs  icaid/index.html

You can call and ask what the income would be for a married couple with a child.

But regardless, the Medicaid says to notify if there are any changes. Now having a child - I think you'd qualify for food assistance and any other help too.

You may not if your husband is part of your household

Yes, based on that being the income for 3 people. You would also want to check into WIC and food stamps as well. If you start to work, you may also qualify for early Headstart or child care assistance.