Eligibility for Medicaid

I recently got married and we had a child in February. I am on Medicaid and my husband makes $54,000 (gross income) yearly. Would my daughter and I still be eligible for Medicaid?

Best Answer

The answer would most likely be no but you should check with Medicaid to be sure. Legally, you most likely should have already notified Medicaid about your present family situation as using Medicaid may make you responsible for any payment they make after your situation changed.

You do not say how long you have been married or if you used Medicaid after you got married but you should be very careful as this is a government agency and they have very strict rules.
Also, does your husband have health insurance? Has he placed you and your child on his coverage?

After getting married I lost my medi-cal because of my husband's income. If you are disabled do not get married! It will end up costing you, now my husband and I will end up having to get divorced.

Most likely not. Your state should have a website that gives the income guidelines. If he has insurance, by law you are required to use it rather than medicaid and he would have have to have added you within 30 days of the marriage, or within 30 days of your medicaid stopping.

Medicaid can consider your "household" income, which can include your spouse's income, so the answer could be that you will make too much money to qualify.

If you do not have a job, your husbands company should be covering you free or at a lower cost as well as your child.

You are supposed to update Medicaid of your recent marriage status. And since the income he makes is enough - no longer low income.

Was your daughter born before you got married? If not, I HIGHLY suggest you consult an attorney before you call medicaid. Once you got married your rights substantially changed in every financial situation imaginable, and you need to stop taking any medicaid benefits for you and your daughter until you are told whether or not you're still covered, or you and your husband could be looking at HUGE bills.

No, that is too much income to be eligible.

possibly

Business and Legal Legal General AdviceApril 21, 2017
🌻
📓
🎂