Add to PageAsk a Question

Cashing a Deceased Parent's Savings Bonds

If the owner of a government savings bond dies without naming a beneficiary, there are specific steps that need to be taken for a relative to cash them in. This is a page about cashing a deceased parent's savings bonds.


Ask a QuestionHere are the questions asked by community members. Read on to see the answers provided by the ThriftyFun community or ask a new question.

Is there a phone number for a person I could talk to about the procedure for cashing in my mother's savings bonds? I am the executor of her estate.


June 8, 20182 found this helpful
Best Answer

Cashing someone else's savings bonds can be a tricky situation so going to your bank for guidance should be your first step.

  • You say you are the executor of your mother's estate but has the will been through probate?
  • Many times this has to happen before it can be said that you have a legal right to handle her financial affairs.
  • Did your mother have a bank account that you have been given access to? If so, then that is the bank you should visit first.
  • Have you successfully completed other financial transactions that were in your mother's name? If so, you may be able to cite these when you present the bonds to the bank.
  • If the bank accepts your mother's will designating you as executor then they should be able to handle the procedure for cashing the bonds.
  • If there are other family members who feel they have some rights to your mother's estate, then, most likely, you will have to file the will and go through probate before you can officially complete this type of transaction.
  • Advertisement

  • An executor has certain rules to follow and if other family members are involved then I feel sure they will want an accounting for everything that is done (financially especially).
  • Talk to your bank executive and they will tell you what has to be done.
Reply Was this helpful? 2
Answer this Question...

February 13, 2017

My father had savings bonds; he passed away. Everything went to my mom, but we did not change the savings bonds into her name. My mom passed away and I am the executor of the will. How do I get the savings bonds cashed?


February 14, 20170 found this helpful
Best Answer

Generally savings bonds have a beneficiary named but it is not mandatory and a deceased bonds would then go to their estate. Did your father also have a will and was your mother the sole heir of his estate? Do you plan to put the money from the bonds into your mother's estate? Are there other family members who may contest your right to these bonds?


Legal matters like this can be daunting but a good bank officer should be able to help you with this matter. You will need to take the bonds, death certificates, any legal papers you have pertaining to your mother and any wills that found. You can go to your parent's bank or to any bank, as this is a pretty common matter to them.
The bank officer can usually advise you of your legal rights, but, in any case, they will probably have the forms you need and someone to certify them for you.

The Treasury Dept. site may be a little daunting but I have another site that may be easier to read:

Reply Was this helpful? Yes
Answer this Question...

September 24, 2017

Where do I call to order the FS form 5336 needed to cash the savings bonds owned by a deceased person?


September 24, 20170 found this helpful

There is no need to call and go pick up this form. It is available online in a PDF file and you can download it from the Treasury office. Here is the link to the form.


Reply Was this helpful? Yes
September 24, 20170 found this helpful

Use this form:

Or call this number for help:


Reply Was this helpful? Yes
September 25, 20170 found this helpful

Here is the link to the forms can download them.

Reply Was this helpful? Yes
September 26, 20170 found this helpful

The best way to redeem savings bonds is at your bank/financial institution.

  • The bank will cash them for anyone who is a legal person authorized to cash them.
  • If this is a deceased person, are you the one who has legal rights to the bonds?
  • Advertisement

  • Sometimes this can be complicated and the bank can answer all questions about cashing the bonds.
  • If they are not able to cash the bonds then you will most likely have trouble trying to complete and file Form 5336.
  • This form, under the circumstances you state, may take several days or weeks if something has to be verified as to who is the legal recipient.

Here are a couple of links that give very good instructions on how to cash these bonds as well as dealing with who may be a legal recipient.

Reply Was this helpful? Yes
Answer this Question...
Business and Legal Legal General AdviceFebruary 14, 2017
Halloween Ideas!
Ask a Question
Share a Post
Better LivingBudget & FinanceBusiness and LegalComputersConsumer AdviceCraftsEducationEntertainmentFood and RecipesHealth & BeautyHolidays and PartiesHome and GardenMake Your OwnOrganizingParentingPetsPhotosTravel and RecreationWeddings
Published by ThriftyFun.

Desktop Page | View Mobile

Disclaimer | Privacy Policy | Contact Us

© 1997-2019 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved.

Generated 2019/10/05 13:52:39 in 1 secs. ⛅️️ ⚡️
Loading Something Awesome!