Medicaid and Marriage

I have a question. We live in North Carolina and plan on getting married this year. My fiancé and I have one child together and I have 2 of my own. Right now my daughters have Medicaid. My question is when we get married will they lose their Medicaid even though my fiancé isn't their biological father? The reason I am asking is because my daughter has type one diabetes and needs good insurance. Thank you!

Best Answer

When your fiance becomes part of your household, his income may bump you up to a level where your daughters may not be eligible for Medicaid anymore.

Thats what I was wondering cause right now our son doesnt get Medicaid because me and his dad live together And thats our only child together. I was just wondering about my other twos Medicaid if since we become married if they would loose it because we make to much together

What if she is pregnant and he does not have insurance?

Best Answer

You will become a family of 5 when you are married. You'll have to see with your social worker what will happen.

This will all depend on your combined income and living expenses after you're married.

Best Answer

Don't rely on us. Go see the experts at the Social Security office. Get it in writing, too. Hope all works out.

It appears from your questions and comments that you are already a family of 5 (living together) but you are only reporting a family of 3 to Medicaid right now but plan to change that to a family of 5 after you get married.

• Only Social Security can answer your question correctly as there are too many factors that we do not know (and do not need to know) that will help SS make a decision on your children's Medicaid and any other government entitlements you may be receiving.
  • Ad

• It seems your family of three is not eligible for Medicaid but when you add your 2 girls to the mix that will make a big difference and may change everything - maybe in your favor.
  • It does not matter who the biological father is as the girls are living with you and your fiance now and the plan is to be a family of 5.
  • If the biological father was/is paying support (as he should be) then it is possible that income would also be considered.
  • As stated before, only the SS office can answer your questions correctly.

Remember, Social Security is a government agency and it is always in your best interest to be honest and above board when reporting (or not reporting?) any type of information.

Business and Legal LegalJanuary 23, 2018
🎂
🌻
📓