Staying on Medicaid After Marriage?

I am disabled and currently on Medicaid and my mom's insurance (I am under 26) and Medicaid know this. I do not have an income. My fiancée is working and we are getting married in a few months. She makes about $16,000 a year which is under the amount in my state that two people can make and stay on Medicaid. How do I contact them when I get married to notify them of my change, but also let them know her annual salary so I can keep my Medicaid?


Add your voice! Click below to answer. ThriftyFun is powered by your wisdom!

October 25, 20170 found this helpful
Best Answer

Although Medicaid is a federal government program, states can (and generally do) have a few stipulations of their own. This means states can differ in some of their qualifications for this program.

  • You state you have no income so it appears this would indicate you are presently living with your mother and that is why she can have you on her insurance policy.
  • Do you plan to continue to live with your mother after your marriage? This is probably a question the Social Security/social worker will ask. This answer may also determine if you will still be eligible to remain on your mother's insurance policy.
  • Advertisement

  • Is there some reason you are not presently on (or applied for) SSI coverage? It would appear that would be a program you should look into.
  • If you want answers to your questions there is no real reason why you have to wait until you are married to ask these questions.
  • Make an appointment with your social worker or the Social Security agency and present them with what you are asking here.
  • Someone should be able to give you the correct answers as no one on this site can do that.
  • Each case is different and just one minor thing can make a difference so please ask your questions at one of these places.
  • You can discuss everything with them so you will not have to be concerned about your coverage after your marriage.
  • They will also inform you of all papers they will need to keep everything current.

Best wishes for a happy future.

Reply Was this helpful? Yes
November 13, 20170 found this helpful

My girlfriend and me plan on getting married does her son medicaid stop cause we marry Texas

Reply Was this helpful? Yes
October 24, 20170 found this helpful

Call them to make an appointment. You will need to bring your marriage certificate and a copy of her W-2.

Reply Was this helpful? Yes
October 24, 20170 found this helpful

Staying on Medicad after marriage:

  1. Each case is determined on a one on one basis.
  2. Advertisement

  3. Your social worker will determine if you are still eligible to stay on Medicaid.
  4. You will need to make an appoint with the social working handling your case after you've been married.
  5. You will need to go with your wife and proof of her income.
  6. You will also need to take proof that you are now legally married.
Reply Was this helpful? Yes
October 26, 20170 found this helpful

Contacting Medicaid.

Step 1
You have to call them you probably have a social worker assigned to your case.

Step 2
When you go in ask them who you contact when you need to.

Step 3
You will need to go to your county Division of Social Services (DSS) office.

Step 4
Phone to set up an appointment first just look up social services.

Reply Was this helpful? Yes

Add your voice! Click below to answer. ThriftyFun is powered by your wisdom!


In This Page
Business and Legal Legal General AdviceOctober 24, 2017
Pest Control
Coronavirus Tips
Back to School Ideas!
Summer Ideas!
Ask a Question
Share a Post
Better LivingBudget & FinanceBusiness and LegalComputersConsumer AdviceCoronavirusCraftsEducationEntertainmentFood and RecipesHealth & BeautyHolidays and PartiesHome and GardenMake Your OwnOrganizingParentingPetsPhotosTravel and RecreationWeddings
Published by ThriftyFun.
Desktop Page | View Mobile
Disclaimer | Privacy Policy | Contact Us
Generated 2020-08-05 12:56:33 in 1 secs. ⛅️️
© 1997-2020 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved.