Crafts Ideas for Hospice Care Setting

Woman Crocheting
Patients receiving hospice care often have varying physical limitations that can affect the types of craft activities they are able to participate in. This is a guide about crafts ideas for hospice care setting.

I do a voluntary work at a hospice and we are always looking for craft ideas, however the participants don't always have much dexterity. Activities like block printing and silk painting work well.

Does anyone have any ideas of craft ideas that can be done in this sort of care setting?

Can anyone tell me of a web site with ideas I could use? I am thinking of starting one myself too!

Katey Nixon, England

Best Answer

I would asked the person. Talk with them on the crafts they use to do and asked then if they would like to try their favorite again. For instance sewing of any type you could assist them

To try to make something of their very own to leave to their loved ones.

Another idea is to plant their favorite flower seed into pots which they decorate in their own way. Those flowers or plants will be living gifts to friends and loved ones.

Free drawing.

Making goodbye cards to give to their loved ones after the person's death.

How about making a cassette tape of things they wanted to say?

Taking care (feeding) of a goldfish in a bowl with it going to a loved one to care for it.

Maybe picking out pictues and turning it into that person's life story with little captions underneath each photo.

Maybe making a list by that person of all their favorite things. It could be copied later and given out at the memorial, or not!

I hope I helped.

Mr.Thrifty

Best Answer

When I was in high school I used to volunteer for a recreational program for adults with disabilities. One of the projects we did was a huge hit. We purchased some bakeable clay and natural fiber paint brushes. You use the clay to make designs around the handles of the brushes, which also makes the brush handles thicker and easier to handle for persons with less coordination or arthritis. We used small cookie cutters purchased at thrift stores for clay designs to put on the handles. you just follow the clay manufacturers instructions for baking and voila, everyone has a comfortable and beautiful brush of their own to paint with. The project only cost about $15 for about 20 brushes! Some of our students even gave them as special gifts for friends and family.

Best Answer

Our elders have so much experience and knowledge to offer! Use a tape recorder and have each person tell an interesting story from their lifetime - we have many WWII veterans whose history will soon be lost if not preserved!

Best Answer

I work as a community craft tutor with toddler, special needs adults and the elderly. I use similar projects for all of the (with some adjustments) this week we are making coffee filter butterflies colour the filter with watercolour pencils then spritz it with water (with food colouring) gather it in the middle and put into a peg add goggle eyes and anntenna. Make a few and string them up with fishing line add beads and tissue paper knots to create a summery garland. I have loads of tried and tested ideas pleases let me know if you would like more.