Using the Right Glue for Seashell Crafts

Certain types of glue work best when working on projects involving gluing shells to other objects. This is a page about using the right glue for seashell crafts.

I want to glue real sand dollars to my semi gloss painted bathroom walls for a 3-D border look. What kind of glue would I use? I don't want the steam from showers to cause them to fall off.
Has anyone else tried something like this? If so, what were your results?

By Cyndie from Jefferson, GA

Answers

Best Answer

Buy a small tube of clear silicon sealant, although any color will do.

Silicon is used to assemble home aquariums BTW, if you are concerned about the quality.

Best Answer

E-6000 is the best, but she is right, it might be a bit to dry. If you want them to stay for a long time, you might consider the glue, then a small nail to keep it 'in place' till the glue dried, with a bit sticking out to pliar out once it does.

The velcro is a great idea, and is less invasive on the wood. You can just consider the nail if you are very careful.

When you get it done, share it with us!! It sounds pretty!

I have a picture I want to make by gluing decorative sand and shells to a canvas. What glue is best to use?

Answers

Best Answer

I use "Gorilla Glue" for all of my craft projects, read the label and use the one suggested for your use.

Best Answer

They also sell Sea Shell Glue. If you have any coupons, you can lower cost. www.hobbylobby.com/.../29124

Is Gorilla glue the best glue for seashells?

By John from London

Answers

Best Answer

NO WAY...messy, impossible to get off your hands and it bubbles up and out as it cures. The best would be either Weldbond (water based) or Goop, aka E-6000 (solvent based).

If they are fairly small shells, I would go with the Weldbond glue. I buy it at my local Ace Hwd. store, but it's on-line too.

I am running a booth at a children's gift making workshop this weekend and am planning/hoping to make a very simple oyster shell wreath. Does anyone have any suggestions for a good glue/adhesive that is quick drying? We'll have about 20-25 kids over a 2 hour period so time is a huge factor. Thanks so much!

Answers

Best Answer

Aleen's quick dry tacky glue.

www.amazon.com/.../B001145496 (Affiliate Link)

Best Answer

You could try some Elmer's Craft Bond. This is a good strong glue and this one is quick-drying and should do the trick for you.

What kind of glue would I use to glue seashells to a plastic picture frame?

By bill weaver from Reseda, CA

Answers

Best Answer

E6000 --- NOT hot glue & Not Elmer's or tacky glue.

What is the best adhesive for seashell crafting?

By Ann from Port St Lucie, Fl

Answers

Best Answer

I was just at a craft fair a few weeks back and this gentleman had birdhouses covered in shells, and asked him if they were waterproof and he said yes and told him I have a birdhouse and 100's of shells and didn't know what to use...he told me to use clear bathroom silicone, will make it waterproof! Haven't done it yet, but will try when weather here gets cold, good luck!

I found a seashell that is the shape of a heart and I would like to turn it into a necklace. I am wondering what kind of adhesive I should use to attach it to the chain?

I want to make several outdoor wreaths using various seashells. What is best glue to use for seashells that will withstand high heat and humidity?

Thanks for your help.

I have a beautiful pair of native earrings and the main piece is abalone. I dropped one and it broke. The pieces still fit together, but I don't know what I might be able to use to repair it without a big blob of glue showing in the repair spot.

I saw the posts about the best adhesives here for affixing shells to other objects, but not shell to shell.

Any ideas?

thanks so much!]
shaktiheart

Answers

I would use Gorilla Glue, applied with a toothpick.

E600 is my go to. You can get it pretty reasonable at Michael's, especially if you have a coupon.

Superglue applied lightly should work. Dont overapply, or it will ooze out when you stick the pieces back together.

Most glues will work but I have found Gorilla glue to work well but can be messy.

I love E600 as it will work on almost anything.
E600 can be found at most stores and is a reasonable price.
It is not as thick as some glues so you can apply a thin layer.
Place a small glob on wax paper or aluminum foil and then get your earring ready.
But using a toothpick or a throw away pin is a good suggestion and hold for a couple of seconds and wipe off access (carefully).

They do have "shell repair glue" at some craft stores.

I have many tiny seashells and I would like to make them into rings as gifts to family. I have purchased ring blanks and have E6000 glue. Is this the best glue to use to secure the seashell to the ring?

Answers

It is a good glue. Rings get a lot of use and I am concerned about the shells getting smashed.

What about making necklaces or pins instead?

Yes - a lot of DIY recommend E6000 for seashell ring.

Reference: www.crazydiymom.com/seashellring.html

I have made seashell necklaces for the women in my family. I wanted to do something different. I saw some rings online that I thought were very pretty (made with tiny shells). I am not a crafter or a designer at all! Frankly, I'm surprised the necklaces came out as good as they did. I know if I make rings with seashells I found myself, the women in my family will love them. I understand that rings with shells might be delicate. I hope I can find a way to make the rings. Thank you for your response.

Thank you for your response and the link!

Sounds lovely! E6000 is a great glue. I used it for a tempered glass project I made and was very pleased. Just be sure to use it in a well ventilated space--if you are like me and smells bother you. It is smelly.

A friend encased her seashells in resin to make rings. Sorry I don't have any photos...I wasn't lucky enough to be the recipient of one of the lovelies!!

She said there are videos on YouTube about how to use resins and that they are fairly easy once you get the hang of them. They kinda look like they are suspended in water when you do it!!

Best wishes!! Please post back your finished rings!!

What's the best adhesive to use for attaching seashells to a metal chandelier frame? Any good DIY instruction videos to recommend for a project like this? Thanks!

Answers

Im sure there are plenty of YouTube videos on the subject. I would use Gorilla Glue.

I usually use E6000 for all types of projects and it will work with metal.
It is very important that you properly clean both the seashells and especially the metal before starting your project.
I have always washed and scrubbed my seashells and let them dry before using.
Metal can be cleaned several ways but I use alcohol as a final cleaner.

Here is a link that has suggestions on how to super clean metal.

crafts.stackexchange.com/.../which-glue-should-i-use-to-bond-sea...

Here is a link that has a glue 'guide' so you can check different glues to see if they will work on metal.

www.dreamalittlebigger.com/.../glue-guide-use-the-right-glue-for...

eclecticproducts.com/.../tds-e6000-craft-english.pdf[/downloads/tds-e6000-craft-english.pdf]false

I have a shadow box that I want to glue shells onto. The backing of the shadow box is a thin material. Gorilla glue did not hold the shells. What kind of glue would be best for gluing the shells to this material?

What glue is best for attaching shells to glass?

This is a page about attaching seashells to plywood. If you crafting with seashells there may be a need to adhere them to wood or other materials.

A shorefull of different sized seashells.

Read More... Pin it! Was this helpful? Yes

In These Pages
Crafts AdviceOctober 31, 2016
👒
🌻
🐛
😷

Generated 2020-04-14 06:37:00 in 2 secs. ⛅️️ ⚡️