To Top

Will My Child Receive SSI?

My ex-husband revives disability SSI and I found out that our daughter is eligible for benefits as well. He doesn't want that for her and says that he is going to call and have it stopped. So my question is, can he do that? Can he have those benefits taken away from her?


By Teresa from Dallas, GA


Will My Child Receive SSI?

Pardon my bluntness, but your husband is a jerk for wanting to deny this child the payments that she's entitled to. Asking us isn't the solution, because we're not experts. Definitely call your local Social Security office and explain the situation. Ask them what you can do to protect your daughter. If they don't/won't give you an honest answer, there are plenty of Social Security attorneys out there who work for a commission, no upfront money necessary.

Best of luck! (08/27/2010)

By WildIrish

Will My Child Receive SSI?

Is your daughter disabled in order to qualify for SSI and does your total income qualify? Or will she be receiving it because her Dad gets it? The only thing I have heard of in a case like that is that the parent receiving disability has to pay child support out of the disability. If your "ex" would pass away then she would receive survivor's benefits. Call your social security office and find out for sure. (08/28/2010)

By redhatterb

Will My Child Receive SSI?

Personally I would say if she's disabled go for it. The person who applies is the only person who can take it away other than SSI! If your child doesn't need it and you are well off I would say just leave it be. There are a lot of people who abuse SSI all the time I think it should only be for people who really can't support themselves! Good luck! (08/28/2010)

By str82eternity

Will My Child Receive SSI?

You shouldn't need a lawyer to collect the SS income for your daughter. The Social Security people have all the facts and will work for your benefit as they are very helpful. Just provide them with the info they will need to start the checks, what child can't use additional income for a better lifestyle (just use it wisely).


And while you're at it, if you were married to your ex for at least 10 years, you're entitled to collect Social Security money anytime from age 62 to 66 from income he made for last 30 yrs of highest income earnings! It doesn't hurt to know these things in advance. (By the way, it doesn't matter if at the time you collect, if he's dead or alive: although if he's dead, it's a lot more money, go figure!). It won't affect his collecting SS, but you're entitled to it, too. "Nice!" :D

However, if the jerk didn't earn that much and your amount turns out to be more, then you wouldn't bother with his. This applies to any husband you've been married to for 10 years, Social Security goes by the husband who made the most amount of money for you. Know their name, date and place of birth and SS # if you have it. Have copies of marriage and divorce for each one. (09/01/2010)

By Iluv2craft

Will My Child Receive SSI?

Don't ask people who don't know. See all the different answers just on this site? Call the SS and ask them. Normally when a person gets disability they ask if the person has any dependents. Since this man seems like a jerk he might say no. Call the SS and tell them what you told this list and they will see that your child gets not only SS, but the health care that goes with it. If his claim has not gone in yet, check back until you find out what is going on with it. SS makes a point to see that those who are entitled get their benefits. (09/01/2010)

By Lilac

Will My Child Receive SSI?

If your husband/ex-husband doesn't want his child to benefit from his SSI, shame on him! If she doesn't want the money, it could be put in a high-yield savings account for a financial cushion. A couple of hundred dollars a month, even at the ridiculously-low rates financial institutions offer today, will yield some fair interest.

Like others, I encourage you to contact the Social Security Administration. You may also mention the SSI thing to your local child support office.
Interestingly, my current husband named my children from my first marriage as his dependents. For a short time until they turned 18, each received a Social Security check in their own name. Wish I could say they'd saved it! (09/02/2010)

By JustPlainJo

Will My Child Receive SSI?

I would call the SS office but I think the only way that he can have that stopped is to have his stopped. I do not understand why he would not want her to have it. My sister and I received it when our dad passed away and it would have paid through college. (09/06/2010)

By soccermom83

Add your voice! Click below to comment. ThriftyFun is powered by your wisdom!

Related Content
In This Guide
Childs cupped hands holding coins
Will My Child Receive SSI?
April 12, 2011
Childs Car Seat
Decorating a Child's Car Seat
Last will and testament document.
Does Receiving Inheritance Affect SSI?
Family law folder on desk
Can SSI Be Garnished for Child Support?
A disabled student studying in a wheelchair.
Child Support for a Child Receiving Disability
Back to School Ideas!
Summer Ideas!
Ask a Question
Share a Post
Desktop Page | View Mobile

Disclaimer | Privacy Policy | Contact Us

© 1997-2017 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved.

Published by .

Generated 2017/08/12 11:34:10 in 563 msecs. ⛅️️
Loading Something Awesome!