Uses for Sour Milk

There are many wonderful recipes and other uses for soured milk. This guide contains uses for sour milk.

November 23, 2010 Flag

I would like to find uses for sour milk.

By Barbara

September 18, 2006 Flag

My kids eat a lot of dairy, but it does happen that we find that a bag of milk, cottage cheese, or yogurt will be sitting in our fridge past its expiration date. I have a few recipes ( e.g. pancakes, tuna casserole) that call for buttermilk or another type of fermented milk product. So instead of throwing out these sour products, I put them in the freezer to be defrosted when I have time to prepare the recipes. The end results taste delicious, and no one, except my pocket book, is the wiser.

Milk doesn't sour any more, it simply goes BAD. I wouldn't use it at all. The pasteurization etc. doesn't allow it to sour. I would try freezing it just before the date it expires. Saving money is great, but not if the savings makes you sick.

January 5, 2001 Flag

Does anyone have any frugal uses for sour milk that is not fit to drink anymore?

November 22, 2010 Flag

What is the difference between sour milk and bad milk? Can I use sour milk in baking? My carton says 11/26.

By nonna1 from Montclair, NJ

I always understood sour milk to be milk that is kind of old, starting to go bad but it's still not horribly bad. Some people call this blinky milk. You wouldn't drink it this way but it's ok to use in pancakes, quick breads, etc. Your carton says Nov. 26th so it won't be sour until some time after that. To make sour milk out of fresh milk, add 1 tablespoon of lemon juice or white vinegar to a cup of milk and stir. Let it stand for 10 minutes before using.

I welcome soured milk. I use it even if it has separated, just shake it up and use it. Very good for baking anything, use in place of liquid. The best light pancakes you can have. I keep it in the fridge for a very long time. Makes nice bread also.

Soured milk goes through a rancid stage when it smells and tastes bad (you would probably call this "spoiled milk". At this stage, leave it out of the fridge until it coagulates (a day or so, depending on the temperature). You will find that the bad smell and taste have gone. Replace it in the fridge until the sour milk is quite cold. You can either drink it or cook with it (stir first). The taste is fresh and rather like a mild, natural yoghurt. Many Europeans make sour milk as a drink to have with a meal.

Brenda from Oz.

Sour milk only occurs when you have raw milk that has not been pasteurized/homogenized. If you have store milk that smells or tastes nasty, throw it out, it can make you violently sick. Sour milk, on the other hand, has more beneficial bacteria, and is quite good for you. If allows to separate, you can use the curd as sour cream, cream cheese (if you drain it off and allow it to sit in a strainer to get more whey out), and the like, it's much like yoghurt in that aspect. You can also use the whey (the watery liquid left after the curds separate) for many things too.

July 22, 2013 Flag

What are some good, easy recipes that use sour milk?

By Marlene

Answer This QuestionWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Very healthy hair rinse.

Food and Recipes Food Tips DairyMarch 17, 2013
Freezing Milk
Freezing Milk
fresh delicious sour cream
Homemade Sour Cream Recipes
Milk Jug Snoopy
Milk Jug Snoopy Craft