Preventing Mold on Cheese

If you are like me and prefer to purchase a "chunk" of cheese instead of already shredded cheese, this tip is for you. This is something I discovered on my own. Years ago, I would wipe down every surface I could get to on our sailboat (inside), before leaving it after a weekend out, with plain old vinegar.

Vinegar retards the growth of mold. When we would return, the boat still was fresh. After finding mold on a chunk of cheese I decided to try a little experiment. I took a paper towel and folded it down to about a 2 x 2 inch square. I then dampened the paper towel with vinegar. Barely damp, just enough that you can tell it is damp. I then wrapped my cheese in the paper towel and placed inside a Ziploc bag and returned to the refrigerator.

I have never had cheese mold on me again and I have not wasted a bite. If your paper towel begins to dry out, all that you need to do is to redampen the towel with vinegar. The small amount that you are using doesn't leave a vinegar taste to the cheese. Buying cheese in "chunks" is cheaper than the already shredded and will save you a bit of money in addition to no more moldy cheese. Cheese will last for weeks stored this way. Hope you will give this a try because it certainly does work.

By Trish from Chatom, AL

7 More Solutions

No more moldy cheese in the refrigerator: moisten a paper towel with a bit of cider vinegar and wrap it around your wedge of cheese; then place the wrapped cheese in a plastic bag and seal.

Moldy cheese is still safe to eat. Just cut away the mold.

I purchase the sliced American cheese (120) slices from Sam's club. I like their American cheese the best. When I get home I put all the slices of cheese in an empty bread bag and it is just as fresh months later as the day I put in the bread bag.

I buy 5 lb. bags of shredded mozzarella cheese because my family makes pizza on a regular basis. However, once the bag is opened, it tends to begin to mold fairly quickly. Has anyone used a variation of this vinegar method with shredded cheese? If this doesn't work, does anyone have a suggestion?

By rcraftlady from East Coast

Answers

Best Answer

Once the bag of cheese is open be sure no one sticks fingers in to get out a handful. I instruct the family to use a long handled iced tea spoon. This has helped immensely. I'm going to add the vinegar dampened paper towel too now.

Answer this Question

How do I keep grated Parmesan cheese from molding?

Answers

Most semi hard and hard cheeses freeze very well in the freezer, that way they can't grow mold as they will in the frig after a couple of weeks. Cheeses like Romano, Parmesan, things like that, even Cheddar freeze great until you're ready to use them again.

I'm not sure why your cheese is moulding if you're keeping it in the fridge. Parmesan should be stored in the fridge if it will not be used up within a week.

Maybe your fridge is not cool enough>?

Make sure to keep the grated cheese in a sealed container. You can also put grated parmesan in the freezer for longer lasting.

I keep mine in an airtight container in the refrigerator.

I use it straight from the freezer. Especially my mozzarella and Parmesans :)

I too use this method of storing my grated cheese and it works great. Just remove it from freezer a few minutes before using, so it's easier to take amount needed. Glad you posted this idea.

Anonymous

Yes freeze it, Or eat it!

Keep your fingers OFF the cheese.. I use anything except my fingers to remove cheese from its wrapper or bag.. since I have done this I never get mold on any of my cheese.. this has been for 5 years now...when I want to grate a block of cheese I hold the block with the wrapper or a paper towel.

Answer this Question

Can you use white vinegar instead of cider vinegar to stop moulding?

By Kevin

Answers

Anonymous

yes

Answer this Question

First dampen paper towel with apple cider vinegar then wrap around the block of cheese. Then wrap in foil and place in zipper type baggie.

Food and Recipes Food Tips DairyFebruary 16, 2012
🎄
🎉
😷
https://www.thriftyfun.com/tf74771541.tip.html