Preventing Mold on Cheese

Category Dairy
If it is not a variation of blue cheese you probably would prefer it not be moldy. This is a guide about preventing mold on cheese.

If you are like me and prefer to purchase a "chunk" of cheese instead of already shredded cheese, this tip is for you. This is something I discovered on my own. Years ago, I would wipe down every surface I could get to on our sailboat (inside), before leaving it after a weekend out, with plain old vinegar.

Vinegar retards the growth of mold. When we would return, the boat still was fresh. After finding mold on a chunk of cheese I decided to try a little experiment. I took a paper towel and folded it down to about a 2 x 2 inch square. I then dampened the paper towel with vinegar. Barely damp, just enough that you can tell it is damp. I then wrapped my cheese in the paper towel and placed inside a Ziploc bag and returned to the refrigerator.

I have never had cheese mold on me again and I have not wasted a bite. If your paper towel begins to dry out, all that you need to do is to redampen the towel with vinegar. The small amount that you are using doesn't leave a vinegar taste to the cheese. Buying cheese in "chunks" is cheaper than the already shredded and will save you a bit of money in addition to no more moldy cheese. Cheese will last for weeks stored this way. Hope you will give this a try because it certainly does work.

By banty from Chatom, AL

Anonymous

It seems a good idea

I'll try it cause I like all kind of cheeses n buy them on sale too

Thanks for sharing

No more moldy cheese in the refrigerator: moisten a paper towel with a bit of cider vinegar and wrap it around your wedge of cheese; then place the wrapped cheese in a plastic bag and seal. The acid in the vinegar will keep mold away. If the paper towel dries out, moisten it with a bit of water-vinegar solution.

By Joesgirl

To keep cheese from molding, put a sugar cube in the cheese container. No more moldy cheese!

By Terri

I purchase the sliced American cheese (120) slices from Sam's club. I like their American cheese the best. When I get home I put all the slices of cheese in an empty bread bag and it is just as fresh months later as the day I put in the bread bag. It never molds or gets dried out. Be sure and keep a clip on the open end of the bag. Keep it in the refrigerator, and do not freeze it.

Source: I have been doing this for years

By Verna from Walton, Indiana

Moldy cheese is still safe to eat. Just cut away the mold.

By Linda

Editor's Note: Here's some more information on moldy cheese.

"Question - Is it healthy to eat moldy cheese?

Some cheese is actually made by introducing mold into it! Some examples are Roquefort, blue, Gorgonzola, and Stilton cheese. These molds are completely safe to eat. However, if you have a soft cheese that becomes moldy, it is best to through it away. If you have a hard cheese that becomes moldy, cut the mold off an inch around each side. Make sure your knife doesn't touch the mold. Re-wrap the cheese in a new wrap or container. Eating moldy cheese can cause allergic reactions or respiratory problems. Some molds even produce a type of toxin that can make you sick. It is better to be safe than sorry, don't eat moldy cheese unless it's the safe kind of mold!

Grace Fields"

Source: Newton
http://www.newton.dep.anl.gov/askasci/gen01/gen01729.htm

If you have a dog, give the moldy cheese to the dog. All dogs love cheese. Note, when our cocker spaniel was expecting, the vet said that cheese was high in calcium and so besides her human (one that we could take) calcium tablet each day, we also gave her cheese.

I buy 5 lb. bags of shredded mozzarella cheese because my family makes pizza on a regular basis. However, once the bag is opened, it tends to begin to mold fairly quickly. Has anyone used a variation of this vinegar method with shredded cheese? If this doesn't work, does anyone have a suggestion?

By rcraftlady from East Coast

Best Answer

Once the bag of cheese is open be sure no one sticks fingers in to get out a handful. I instruct the family to use a long handled iced tea spoon. This has helped immensely. I'm going to add the vinegar dampened paper towel too now.

One thing, make sure your refrigerator is cold enough. Most people don't keep cold enough. Temperature should be 37-40 deg. Cool heated foods before storing, and room temp foods could be wrapped and put on ice for a short time before storing. Maybe a little more work, but saving food which equals saving money may be worth it.

Anonymous

Shredded chease will keep in the freezer and you can use it with out defrosting it on your pizzas.

I buy 5 pound bags of shredded cheese. I divide the bag into 5 bags. I freeze 4 and keep 1 in refrigerator.

I wrap my cheese in saran wrap and then tinfoil. Keeps mold away no sign of it after weeks I just change tinfoil when it becomes torn after awhile.

Anonymous

Yes i do freeze the left over it is a good way to keep it with no mold i am happy doing this try it and good luck

Can you use white vinegar instead of cider vinegar to stop moulding?

By Kevin

First dampen paper towel with apple cider vinegar then wrap around the block of cheese. Then wrap in foil and place in zipper type baggie.

This will keep the cheese for a couple of months without getting mold. The vinegar does not leave a taste on the cheese.

By Rosemary from Ludlow Falls, OH

Answers:

Prevent Mold On Cheese With Vinegar

I was wondering if this would work with cream cheese? (04/19/2008)

By Sandy