Brainstorming Tool Tips

Put a mothball in your tool box to help prevent rust.

• Organize your tools in your toolbox so that the tools you use the most are on top.

• Keep a small flashlight in your toolbox in case there is a power outage. Keep the batteries separate so it doesn't turn on when it shifts around.

• Put a piece of cardboard in the bottom of your toolbox to soak up oil and moisture.

• Keep a container in your toolbox for loose nails and screws to prevent them from getting buried under your tools.

• Add a little baking soda to screws or nails that are stored in coffee cans to prevent them from rusting.

• Keep a few pieces of chalk in your toolbox. They might come in handy and they will help absorb moisture.

About The Author: Do you have any tool tips? Post them here!

I keep steel wool in my tool chest for refinishing items ... when I read your tip about keeping batteries in there, I thought I'd drop a note to warn your readers not to store steel wool and batteries in the same area of the tool box: if steel wool touches the batteries' poles, sparks can result. This is a tip I learned while camping - an easy way to start a campfire, but not so handy to have happen in the toolbox! - SEarthman

Editor's Note: Good point. Best to tape the ends of the batteries and keep them in a bag so they can't come in contact with the steel wool or other metal.

Variety of tools displayed on wooden background
Tool Tips and Tricks
Keep Nails Close at Hand for Small Chores
Adding a Magnet to Your Hammer
Photo of tools hung a peg board.
Saving Money On Tools
Ostrich feather duster against a blue sky.
Cleaning a Feather Duster
Creative Cleaning Tools
Creative Cleaning Tools
🎄