Brainstorming Tool Tips

Put a mothball in your tool box to help prevent rust.

• Organize your tools in your toolbox so that the tools you use the most are on top.

• Keep a small flashlight in your toolbox in case there is a power outage. Keep the batteries separate so it doesn't turn on when it shifts around.

• Put a piece of cardboard in the bottom of your toolbox to soak up oil and moisture.

• Keep a container in your toolbox for loose nails and screws to prevent them from getting buried under your tools.

• Add a little baking soda to screws or nails that are stored in coffee cans to prevent them from rusting.

• Keep a few pieces of chalk in your toolbox. They might come in handy and they will help absorb moisture.

About The Author: Do you have any tool tips? Post them here!

Anonymous

I keep steel wool in my tool chest for refinishing items ... when I read your tip about keeping batteries in there, I thought I'd drop a note to warn your readers not to store steel wool and batteries in the same area of the tool box: if steel wool touches the batteries' poles, sparks can result. This is a tip I learned while camping - an easy way to start a campfire, but not so handy to have happen in the toolbox! - SEarthman

Editor's Note: Good point. Best to tape the ends of the batteries and keep them in a bag so they can't come in contact with the steel wool or other metal.