Question
Browse>Contests>Ask>Share>Newsletters>Account>About>

Rooting Lilac Bushes

Can you start a lilac from clippings?

By Shar from Chicago, IL

Here are the recent answer to this question.

By feathertail01/21/2011

I never have but I would sure try! Take a piece that isn't so woody and snip it, cut all the leaves off, dip it in rooting hormone and some sandy dirt, and try it. Heck do 5 or 6 at a time cause maybe you'll get 1 out of 6. Happy gardening.

Thrifty Fun has been around so long that many of our pages have been reset several times. Archives are older versions of the page and the feedback that was provided then.

Archive: Rooting Lilac Bushes

Does anyone know how one can begin lilac bushes without purchasing from a nursery? We have several wild lilac bushes near our house and my wife wants to put some in our yard but I do not know if we can " root" them or how to "root" a branch from the wild lilac bushes.

Russ

RE: Rooting Lilac Bushes

I have taken a small amount from the youngest bush trying not to cut to much from the remaining root, then kept it in a bucket of water just so the very bottom of the root base is covered, this can be tricky but I have done so on a couple of occasions with good results, once you see a new root system starting, plant in the new space that you want and add a plant food, or something in the lines of a bone meal, (I'm writing from Ontario so you may have different products).

RE: Rooting Lilac Bushes

We have wild lilacs near our home too and we have always just dug up the sprouts root and all to transplant. They have always lived and thrived beautifully! Also, we have done so at different times of the year with no ill effects, just water them generously.

Sherrie E.

RE: Rooting Lilac Bushes

You should be able to dig up the lilac and transplant it. Do not let the roots dry out. If not still covered with dirt, wrap them in wet paper towels. Dig a hole twice as large and deep as the root system. fill in the dirt as needed. You should place your bush in the ground no deeper than one inch above the top root. Water well. Best try to do this on a cool day or early evening, so the lilac suffers the least stress. Lilacs can be moved anytime after they bloom. Remember also that they bloom on newer wood. After your bush is established - a year or so, it is desirable to cut back the bush by 1/3 each year, to allow for new growth.

Good luck.
Judy

Archive: Rooting Lilac Bushes

Q: I am disabled and on medicaid and hence have no dollars to spend on my garden. Many of my neighbours have lilac bushes and I'm sure a request for some part of their bushes for rooting or transplanting would meet with generous approval.

What part(s) of these bushes should I ask for? How do I go about rooting them? Is it too late for this year Also, there are several mature but small (about 3 feet high) bushes that I may be able to transplant. Again, is this the wrong time of year?

If I can transplant these bushes - beyond digging them up - what immediate care will they need?

Thank you so very much for any help you can give me!
Suz Long Island NY

A: Suz,

The usual way to root lilac bushes is to dig up suckers near the base of the plant and transplant them. To minimize stress on the transplants, the best time to do this is in the fall after the leaves drop, but before it freezes. Or if you prefer, you can also do this in the spring before the buds start unfolding. In an area receiving full sun, dig a hole at least twice as wide and deep as the roots. Lilacs prefer well-drained, not-too-rich soil that has a neutral or slightly alkaline pH. As you fill in the hole with dirt, add in a small amount of compost. You can also add some compost to areas around the hole to encourage the roots to spread out as they grow. Make sure you water the transplants thoroughly and add mulch around the base of the plants. After planting, the transplants shouldn't need any special care other than routine watering. Expect transplants to take at least three years to get a decent start.

Ellen (05/28/2006)

More Answers:

RE: lilacs won't bloom

Lilacs are known to take four years to bloom. If you plant a "new" bush, you can expect them to bloom the fourth season, not likely before that. Be patient! They're worth it! (05/31/2006)

By Leigh Ann

RE: Rooting Lilac Bushes

To propagate lilacs from a cut branch is very difficult and requires added nutrients to the water. It is very difficult to achieve but it can be done. Another way of propagating lilacs is to grow them from small shoots taken from an existing plant. Shoots that are one or two feet tall should be selected for best results. The plant should be dug up deeply, to ensure that as much of the root system is removed as possible. The root system should be strong and full. The main root should be attached to the mother plant, and clippers should be used to cut the selected shoot from the main bush. The new shoot can then be planted in the desired location. This should be done in a time of colder weather, to increase the survival rate. Three to five shoots should be planted in each area for this type of propagating to work best.

It is generally about three years before lilacs are able to create blooms once they have been planted.

I wish you luck! My parents had their entire yard enclosed in lilac bushes and it smelled heavenly and looked gorgeous! (05/31/2006)

By michellejones3

Archive: Rooting Lilac Bushes

Q: Can you get a lilac branch to root in water? I have a 6 foot branch in a 5 gallon pail with rocks and water. Will this work?

Rose from Clinton, Maine

A: Rose,

You can root lilacs this way, but it's not easy. They usually require a little help in the form of a rooting hormone. I've never tried this, but you can make you own rooting solution using "willow water." Cut willow branches into 1-3 inch lengths until you have about 2 cups worth. Add these to 1/2 gallon of boiling water and let them steep overnight. If you don't use boiling water, the branches should soak in warm water for at least 48 hours. The next day, drain off the liquid from this solution. Take any lilac cuttings you want to root and soak the ends in this water overnight before you plant them, or simply water the soil you plant them in with this water (2 applications).

There is another way you can get more lilacs, and that is to propagate them. A simple way to do it is to take softwood cuttings. Softwood cuttings are taken from the new growth that is coming out this year. Usually you'd cut them, dip them in some rooting hormone powder and plant them in potting soil or stick them in a product like Gel 2 root. Moisten the soil and cover them with plastic to create some humidity. Most lilacs will root this way in 6 to 8 weeks).

Good luck!

Ellen

Archive: Rooting Lilac Bushes

Please tell me how to root lilac bushes. I saw a show on TV where they spoke about rooting lilac branch cuttings.