Best Computer for My Money?

My son has recently started a computer class at school and has asked for a home computer. How and where do you suggest I research the best computer for my money?

I have actually found a lot of good information by going to a computer store and talking to a sales representative. Just be sure that you go to the store on a fact finding mission and don't buy a computer until you are ready. Never buy anything as expensive as a computer at the first store you go to. Shop around. You can also learn a lot of from friends or family that have recently purchased computers. Take advantage of any information that you can get from people that you know and trust.

If possible, ask your son's teacher for some guidance on what to look for. The teacher will probably be able to explain to you what to look for and has a really good idea of what will be needed for the class.

I recommend checking out The Cheapskate's Guide to Bargain Computing. It's a book by Bill Camarda that came out a couple years ago that has some helpful information. You can probably find it at your local library. Also you will find some good information online that can help you understand the jargon associated with computers. Here are a few good resources that are worth checking out:

Viewz Computer Buying Guide: http://www.viewz.com/shoppingguide/compbuy.shtml

Consumer Review: You can search for specific models and often find multiple reviews on them. http://www.consumerreview.com

Dave's Guide to Buying a Home Computer http://www.css.msu.edu/PC-Guide/

Keep in mind that consumer information about computers becomes obsolete as fast the computers do. There is a lot of general information that is quite useful but when it comes down to specific models and specifications, the newer the information the better.

Be sure to check both online and local retail stores and compare prices. It's a competitive market and at any given time, you probably can find a deal where you can get extra RAM or an extra peripheral device for free. If you buy mail order or through a website, be sure to factor in shipping charges and compare shipping charges of the various mail order companies. Buying used or refurbished computer's is an option, but be sure to buy them from an established company with at least a 60 day warranty.

Take your time and you should be able to find the right model for your son at a price you can afford.

I just recommended to my mom to get a Dell. My opinion is that they are the best computer for the money. You might also want to research wwwzdnet.com and esp. www.cnet.com because both have reviews of all kinds of hardware and their support, and make recommendations with explanations. They also have links to resellers where you can compare prices in a list. A cheaper option would be to go with some place like TigerDirect.com where you can get a bleeding edge Athlon for about $500-600 for a geneic computer, versus major manufacturers who will sell you an average computer for $800. They use the same parts made by outside manufacturers and just slap their name on it. Good luck!

I have 2 bits of advice about Computer buying. Shop around & buy the service policy for as long a period as you can. We don't buy them on our

other things like TVs & radios as they are usually cheaper to donate than repair. Computers are worth the expense as the policy frequently comes with free tech support. Check for this feature & ask about it. You will soon have those Numbers engraved on your Brains.

- Linne Dodds

Someone posted about getting an extended warranty with your computer. The online technical support is great especially if you are a new user ... nice to talk with someone to get you straightened out.

I would like to offer suggestions:

The computer comes with a one year warranty. When I bought my Compaq the salesman could not understand why I did not want to purchase the extended three year warranty at the time of my initial purchase (remember the salesman makes a good commission off selling warranties). I contacted Compaq direct close to expiration of the initial one year warranty and purchased direct from Compaq and paid with my Visa. This also saves on having to pay so far in advance for the extended warranty and saves interest.

Many times you can purchase the computer with no interest if the account is paid off in six months. Don't add the warranty to the computer at this time is my suggestion.

This was what I did.

Syd Barr

Personally (and I'm no super-geek) I prefer to build or re-build my own boxes. I'm not a gamer or graphic artist so I don't need a hot rod, just something to get the job done. I have an old Pentium III 450Mhz, and it works pretty well though I'd like to double my 256Mb of RAM; that would speed things up a lot.

Also I wouldn't buy anything with an MS Windows operating system included. I enjoy using Linux, and some of the newer distros do everything I need to do and then some. I'm currently using Simply Mepis, and it will run from a single CD without installing it on the hard drive so you can test its features before installing it. Keep in mind, though, that it runs a lot faster once installed than it can from a CD. There are other "live" CD Linux distros as well, and many can be downloaded from the Web and burned on your blank CD-R. I've recently installed Novell SuSE 9.3 Professional but haven't had time to play with it. It comes on five CDs and has all kinds of bells and whistles I'll never use, but I'm looking forward to checking it out; it looks great. (They've released at least one later version since this one came out.) Note also that Linux can generally be set up as a dual boot with Windows (on the same hard drive). They won't run at the same time; Windows does not play well with others. On boot-up you simply choose which OS you want to boot into and it takes you there. I still have Windows 2000 SP4 on this drive but I almost never use it anymore.

Linux does require a 'learning curve' and takes some getting used to, but many of the newer versions are quite stable and are much less virus- and malware- prone than MS products. As far as I know about the only demand they don't (yet) meet is gaming.

If your son will be using it, then I would recommend the largest hard drive you can afford and the most memory you can afford as kids like to keep their music ect on the computer.

You can get a very nice machine for 300-500.00 that will have what you need on it.

Also consider these things:

1.For digital photography and video-a good nvidia based graphics card, firewire port, and built in card readers a re very nice to have

2.If your son is using windows at school, then I would go with a windows xp system. If you want to run Linux, you can still do so on a windows pc.

3.A cd or dvd burner is a plus for sending photos to grandma, backing up data, ect

4.I am also partial to AMD Athlon processors

Shops I recommend:

Tigerdirect.com

Newegg.com

Microcenter.com

I usually just order a system with what I want in it as opposed to buying a "Dell" for example, I might buy a machine where some of the parts are made by Dell, and some by other companies. Currently I own an AMD system with 2 hard drives and 512 ddr memory. Your hard drive speed is important for graphics, video, sound, ect-7200 rpm is good.

From time to time, Walmart has some great deals on some wonderful systems. And they have layaway, which is nice too.

I teach a digital photography class for kids and approve the tech purchases.

I forgot to ask! How old is your son>and also, what types of things do you think you will use your computer for?

Looking ahead at the possibilities often helps when computer shopping. You may end up doing things on the computer you never thought about! My son has recently gotten into doing digital music and I am sooo glad I have the machine I have, lol. I work on my computer everyday and doing photography, it helps to have those built in card readers, though it isn't necessary,lol.

I hope this has been at least a little helpful.

I would suggest buying a custom dell. They are great. I recently bought one with 2 gigs ram for 300 dollars.

My son-in-law is in pc works. He compared dell versus gateway-gateway won hands down. Needless to say I will always have a gateway. The best.

You want the best computer for the money get a Apple.

I have to agree with Alph's post above. I wouldn't buy anything with Windows on it, especially Vista! I would also not send a fortune on a machine as this is his first machine and the computer technology changes faster than one changes their dirty socks. I also would not buy a machine from Dell, Gateway or any big name brand. You are sending $$$ for the name only, not on the best hardware available. These big name companies are selling re-branded equipment. 99% of the time getting the extended warranty is a waste of money. I would also use Linux for my OS of choice (PCLinuxOS), and if I need for whatever reason run something that only works in Windows, I would run that in a virtual environment. Good luck in which ever way you go. Just remember that buying the newest or latest equipment is always the best solution. This is not an area that one has to buy to keep up with the Jones next door.

I would base the "best" rating on what your son's level of experience and use for the computer are.

If your son is not into computer hardware work or software development, and wants to go into computer graphics, then the Apple is a great deal.

If your son is going to do computer hardware work (building computers, stringing network wire etc.), building an IBM-based PC himself is a great learning experience, but don't expect to save much money by doing it yourself. Sweat equity in computers is very small and real computer builders would gladly trade a little sweat for a few extra GB of RAM or a bigger disk drive...

If your son is into software (other than computer graphics), an IBM-based PC is the best way to go. In this case, I would recommend any of the normal reputable dealers, including Dell, HP/Compaq, etc. My current and last PCs were both Dell and I have been happy with them. Prior to that I had Compaq which worked fine forever (I still have it and intend to convert it to Linux soon).

DEFINTELY SHOP AROUND FOR THE BEST BARGAIN! Prices differ widely for *very* similar equipment. You may get a PC that you just need tp slap a few RAM chips into much cheaper than one that comes pre-built. Check out a bunch and shop for the best deal.

Buy a windows laptop instead of apple. Try Dell or HP.

For other reviews you can check http://www.cproductreviews.com

Saving Money on a Computer, Keyboard with Dollar Sign Button
Saving Money on a Computer
Computers BuyingJuly 17, 2001
cigarette smell computer
Removing Cigarette Smoke Odors from a Computer
A Sharpie marker with its lid off.
Removing Permanent Ink (Sharpie) from a Computer Screen
Cleaning a Laptop Keyboard, Photo of a laptop keyboard.
Laptop Computer Tips and Tricks
A stack of CDs or DVDs
Saving Money On Computer Software
🎉
🎄