Computer Mouse Pad Alternatives

Category Tips

When you need a mouse pad for your computer, you should consider an alternative. There are many things that you can use or even refashion for your mouse pad surface.

In true frugal fashion, I've been using a hot water bottle to warm the foot of my bed instead of the expense of an electric blanket. After more years than I care to admit, mine had finally sprung a leak (thankfully, not while in my bed). I wondered what I could use this thing for? I can't just throw it away. Something like this probably takes a millennium to bio-degrade in a landfill. Then it hit me. (The idea, not the water bottle. Though I bet you could have a pretty decent slap fight with this baby.)

It's shaped exactly like a mouse pad and my current one is, to be honest, grossly grimy. Who washes a mouse pad? It even has a slightly nubby surface, all the better for grabbing the little wheelie thing on the bottom of my ancient mouse.

I simply cut it apart and used the best side as the new mouse pad. And being that it's made out of rubber, it stays put. Not sliding around the desk like my old one. So, there you have it. Hot-water bottle turned mouse pad. Now, any ideas what I can do with the rest of it? I'm thinking cut the other big piece into 4 parts and use them under the legs of the dining room table to protect the hardwood floor. And then there's the part with the stopper in it and those intriguing holes for hanging it up. Ideas anyone?

By ~gloria from Western NY

Who knew? My pa did; he's 84. If you have an optical mouse and need a fresh mouse pad, all you need is a good magazine. It works like a charm and you can pick the cover page you like. This is really-kinda cool, I thought.

Source: My pa

By Pamela Rochelle Woodworth from Sun Lakes, AZ

I have this wonderful mouse that I love (my cross-eyed alien). But having a slick bottom side on the slick table makes it slip and then my wrist hurts.

I was making a list of DT things to pick up today and it hit me. I use one of these for opening jars and two for under vases. I wonder if it could stop my mouse from slipping.

Happily, it does! And for just .25!

N-JOY!

I have a place mat on the top of my desk for when I snack while playing Scrabble. I have another on my pullout tray where the keyboard and mouse are. It is big enough to keep me from running off the edge with my mouse.

Placemat as Larger Size Mouse Pad

If you have a small computer table or desk; drape a furry blanket upside down over it, smooth side up; and place your computer there. This makes it hard to slide.

Here is a great tip to keep your computer keyboard area clean and tidy and save money too. Instead of wasting money on a mouse pad, go to the dollar store or somewhere you like, pick up one vinyl placemat and your mouse will still work out just great.

I've been needing a new mouse pad for ages. All of them that I saw were small ones that cost upwards of $6. I just replaced the old pad with a plastic place mat that cost $1.47 and it works great!

The palm trees are very trendy, too.

I had been looking for a long time for a large mouse pad, because my hand was always going off the regular ones. Then it came to me to use a stiff vinyl placement, several of which I had on hand. I have been using it for a year or so, and it works perfectly!

Computers TipsOctober 17, 2019
🍂
🎄