Recycled CraftsCrafts

Hot-water Bottle Mouse Pad

In true frugal fashion, I've been using a hot water bottle to warm the foot of my bed instead of the expense of an electric blanket. After more years than I care to admit, mine had finally sprung a leak (thankfully, not while in my bed). I wondered what I could use this thing for? I can't just throw it away. Something like this probably takes a millennium to bio-degrade in a landfill. Then it hit me. (The idea, not the water bottle. Though I bet you could have a pretty decent slap fight with this baby.)

It's shaped exactly like a mouse pad and my current one is, to be honest, grossly grimy. Who washes a mouse pad? It even has a slightly nubby surface, all the better for grabbing the little wheelie thing on the bottom of my ancient mouse.

I simply cut it apart and used the best side as the new mouse pad. And being that it's made out of rubber, it stays put. Not sliding around the desk like my old one. So, there you have it. Hot-water bottle turned mouse pad.

Now, any ideas what I can do with the rest of it? I'm thinking cut the other big piece into 4 parts and use them under the legs of the dining room table to protect the hardwood floor. And then there's the part with the stopper in it and those intriguing holes for hanging it up. Ideas anyone?

By Gloria from Western NY

That is absolutely wonderful! I have a hot water bottle, that rarely gets used anymore, it used to be my daughters, when she was a little girl, many years ago .

I would fill it with hot water, not too hot, and give it to her to sleep with during an ice storm. Then she loved it so much i gave it to her to sleep with every night.

It seemed to really bring her comfort and she became really close to it, kind of like a sort of security blanket.

She even drew things on it and it is precious to me, even though the drawings have long since faded, and she has long been an adult now.

They really are so wonderful to cozy up in bed with, and that is a wonderful use for all the parts of your old hot water bottle.

As for your asking for ideas, I thought of this:
This rubber material that the hot water bottle is made out of would make an excellent jar opener.

Do you have enough to cut out a little square out of it about the size of a jar lid or a circle?

If you kept the hole section on the square, you could hang it up in the kitchen where it would always be handy for opening stubborn jars or bottles.

You place the square or circle of rubber over the jar lid or bottle lid and turn. The material gives you added friction and it is easier to open the lid because it does not slip out of your hand, and believe me it works wonders!

Blessings, Robyn

Hey Robyn, nice story about your daughter. Funny, the things kids get attached to. And yes, I thought of the jar opener after I posted my tip about the mouse pad. Guess great minds think alike. Thanks for your comment and hope you voted for my idea. ~gloria

Drink coasters would be good too. They wouldn't slip under damp glasses.