Removing Mildew from Books

How do I clean mildew on the outside and inside of books which have been stored?

By Joanie from the shores of Lake Michigan

October 18, 2010 Flag

How do I remove mildew on a book's cover?

By B. J. Coats from Marshfield, MO

Removing Mildew from Books

Spray them with Lysol wipe them off and spray again and leave them in the sun a few hours. Then the odor should be gone. I have done this before and the books actually had mildew on them. (09/03/2010)

By Ann Parker

If a book gets wet, get it in the freezer right away to prevent mold from starting. When it's dry and sunny outside open the book out to dry, paper towel between the pages may help.

Sealing a dry but moldy smelling book in a zip lock bag with baking soda may absorb the smell. Change the soda several times until the smell is gone.

December 2, 2009 Flag

Does anyone know how I might be able to remove mildew from books? Our old yearbooks from school have mildew on the front and back covers. Thanks.
Theresa in Southern CA

Removing Mildew from Books

My best advice would be to brush off as much as possible, then wipe them down with a damp cloth with a little bleach (1 tbs. per cup of water), let them sit for a few minutes to give the bleach time to work. Then rinse with a damp cloth with clear water (use only a damp cloths so you don't get the covers too wet.) You might want to use a little Pledge on them after you finish and they are totally dry. That will seal the covers so hopefully they won't mildew again.

Susan (10/09/2001)

Removing Mildew from Books

Please do not use bleach on books. Even a very diluted amount will eat through the paper. The best thing to do is put the book, if possible, in the freezer. That immediately kills the mold. Then take out of the freezer (at least one day later) and take rubbing alcohol on a cotton swab and wipe the mold off the book. Then put outside on a sunny day to help take the mold smell out. But don't leave the book out over night.

Removing Mildew from Books

I have heard that a (very) short time in the microwave will kill mold and mildew. I'm not sure if it removes the smell though. (08/18/2007)

By Robert

Removing Mildew from Books

I tried the microwave thing on some very old Dick and Jane Readers from 1946. I think it helped. I did 10 seconds each book. There is still some odor, but not as much. These books were "new/unused" and in original plastic package. The package was worse than the books. I guess books need air. I am going to try the sunshine thing, but not today, it's raining. (07/23/2008)

By Jo

Removing Mildew from Books

Try putting your books in a bag with baking soda for awhile, a couple of weeks, works pretty well although some smell may still remain in the binding. (05/24/2009)

By cheapiecheap

I used to press flowers in old telephone books. Haven't had a problem with mildew, but were it to happen, the pages can be ripped out.

August 31, 2010 Flag

I used some books to press some flowers and they must not have been dry enough, because they became moldy and rotted through the paper used to press them.

Home and Garden Cleaning Books and PapersOctober 18, 2010
Old Encyclopedias on Shelf
Finding the Value of Old Reference Books
Cleaning up Mildew From Wood
Removing Mildew from Wood
Saving Money on Audio Books
Saving Money on Audio Books
Photo of a tent set up in the woods.
Removing Mildew from a Tent