Using It All - Canning Lid Centers

Lori

We have so many canning lid "centers" -- the round solid part and we can't figure out what to do with them except to paste pictures on them and we don't want to do that. We are looking for something that we could possibly use as a craft "item" for a craft sale. Any ideas? Thanks in advance for any help you can give us.
- Lori

I have used them as a backing to make badges in craft projects. Glue gathered lace around the outside and you can spray paint the back side for ascetics and add a pin backing. Decorate the inside circle. I have done gag gifts as well as nursing home projects.

Syd Barr

Another use is use them to cap mason jars with a Food Saver Vacuum Sealer. You can save food in the 'fridge for a much longer period of time. This does not replace the canning method. In addition to using jars you can seal in special bags that eliminate freezer burn.

WWW.YahooGroups.com has a Food Saver site.

It is a really neat gadget ... everyone should have one!

You could make cute round computer generated labels for fruits and vegetables, etc. and stick them on the lids sell them at bazaars.

Use your imagination.

We only have the round solid centers of the Mason jar lids == we don't have the rest of the lid.

Lori

Anonymous

Below is the Food Saver Link. A few readers have requested it.

I use them to make pincushions - double and single. Just cut a circle of fabric to fit the lid; place some fiberfill in the center; place fabric over the fiberfill and bring around to back and glue. Then glue the whole thing into a used jar ring that is no longer suitable for canning (rusted). I paint my jar ring. Then decorate anyway you like with trim, etc. I am sure someone would be glad to give you some of these rings instead of throwing them away. :)