How Do I Freeze Apples?

Could you please tell me the best way to freeze apples? Many thanks.

I peel, core and slice and just put them in gallon ziploc bags. They make nice pies, cakes, and sauce. They look just like fresh when I get them out. I imagine some people will say dip in this or cook for awhile but the simple easy way has always worked for me.

I use my Pampered Chef apple peeler/corer/slicer which peels, cores and slices the apples all at one. They are left in a continuous ring, which I cut in half and then I just put them in plastic containers (cool whip containers work good) and freeze them. I usually freeze them in the amounts I need for a recipe so when I thaw them out I use the whole amount and don't have to refreeze the leftover.

I take my favorie apple pie recipe and fix the apples just like I'm going to put them into the pie. I freeze it and when I'm ready to make a pie, all I have to do is take the apple pie mixture out of the freezer and thaw it a little. It's ready to put into the crust and bake.

According to the book I have on "Freezing Foods at home", the apples should be washed,peeled, and sliced. Then, they should be scalded. Get your water boiling and then add apples. When the water returns to boil, they should boil for 2 minutes. Immediately cool the apples with cold water then freeze in ziploc bags or whatever you prefer. I do this with our apples. Hope it helps you.

I peel and cook the apples (very soft as my husband does not like lumpy apple). When cold I put them into boxes and freeze. Use as required.

My thanks to everyone for all the helpful hints I have used.

I like to make a thick applesauce. I wash my apples real well, pulling off any leaves, etc. I core my apples, leaving the peeling on them. Cut in quarters. Put in a pan with a dab of butter or a dab of bacon grease. Allow to cook down, adding sugar if needed. Sprinkle with cinnamon. Cooking down to the consistency we like. Cool completely. Put in freezer containers or freezer ziploc bags. I prefer bags as they're easier to place in the freezer. Squeeze out all the excess air from the bag & fasten. Freeze for an indefinite time.

When ready to thaw for a meal, take bag of applesauce from freezer. Remove from the bag & place in a microwavable bowl & heat till no longer icy. I've had many compliments on my homemade applesauce. It's a great side dish for any kind of meal. Can be served as part of the meal or as a dessert with cake or alone.

Food and Recipes Freezing Fruit and BerriesOctober 14, 2008
Pile of green apples.
Selecting Good Apples
A pile of dried apple slices.
Drying Apples
A pile of apple slices.
Freezing Apples
Green apple sitting on the lid of a canning jar.
Canning Apples