Garden: My Grandmother With Her Watermelon (1930)

This picture is of my Grandmother in 1930. I do believe that is a watermelon she is getting ready to cut. She certainly did something right in her garden!

By Jackie from Orlando, Florida

My word, Jackie!!! You're so right....she did do something right. What a beautiful watermelon!!! Thanx for sharing this.

Your Grama looks like a good old fashioned rugged lady like my grama's were ;-) Yep, they sure did know how to do right in the garden back then !!! :-) Lovely picture !!!

I really like the perspective, especially the BARE feet. Reminds me of my seed spitting days.

Great picture, I haven't met her and I like her already!

I love old pictures, I could look at them all day!

I bet your Grandma wore an apron, have you seen this poem?

Grandma's Apron

I dont think our kids know what an apron is.

The principal use of Grandmas apron was to protect the dress underneath, but along with that, it served as a potholder for removing hot pans from the oven.

It was wonderful for drying childrens tears, and on occasion was even used for cleaning out dirty ears.

From the chicken coop, the apron was used for carrying eggs, fussy chicks, and sometimes half-hatched eggs to be finished in the warming oven.

When company came, those aprons were ideal hiding places for shy kids.

And when the weather was cold, grandma wrapped it around her arms.

Those big old aprons wiped many a perspiring brow, bent over the hot wood stove.

Chips and kindling wood were brought into the kitchen in that apron.

From the garden, it carried all sorts of vegetables. After the peas had been shelled, it carried out the hulls.

In the fall, the apron was used to bring in apples that had fallen from the trees.

When unexpected company drove up the road, it was surprising how much furniture that old apron could dust in a matter of seconds.

When dinner was ready, Grandma walked out onto the porch, waved her apron, and the men knew it was time to come in from the fields to dinner.

It will be a long time before someone invents something that will replace that old-time apron that served so many purposes.

Grandma used to set her hot baked apple pies on the window sill to cool.

Her granddaughters set theirs on the window sill to thaw.

They would go crazy now trying to figure out how many germs was on that apron.

I dont think I ever caught anything from an apron.

It was great to see you photo. Your Grandmother

was adorable this watermelon and her bare feet

it was just a touching photo.

It reminded me of my grandmothers thank you

for that.

And for sharing you grandmother with us.

Great picture! I love old photos! I bet she was a hard working lady and she should be very proud of that big watermelon!!! As we say in the south, "Bless her heart!"

growing watermelon
Growing Watermelons
Photos FamilySeptember 15, 2008
Valentine's Day Tips for Men, Man giving a heart shaped chocolate box and roses.
Valentine's Day Tips for Men
Several different types of cut melons.
Freezing Melons (Cantaloupe, Crenshaw, Honeydew, And Watermelon)
Watermelon Salsa
Watermelon Salsa Recipes
Watermelon Sorbet
Watermelon Sorbet Recipes