Beware Of Alcohol Poisoning from Use of Hand Sanitizers

This tip is regarding the use of alcohol based hand sanitizer. Some have labels saying "Keep out of reach of children" Be very, very careful if using this near children. If a child uses this on their hands and then licks their hands they can get very sick and, in some cases, alcohol poisoning! Go to www.snopes.com and type in alcohol sanitizer danger or use this link

There are true stories of children getting very sick from this.

Source: Personal experience and snopes.com

By Pico from St. Paul, Alberta

Thanks for the warning. Very much needed.

August 17, 2009 Flag

Received this e-mail from a friend and wanted to share it.

By PICO from ST PAUL, ALBERTA

Editor's Note: We found the original Snopes article. It is all about the dangers of hand sanitizers due to the high alcohol content, especially for small children. Anyone who has small children around and uses hand sanitizer should read the Snopes article here:

Answers:

Hand Sanitizers Are Poison To Children

This was also on our local NBC news at 10:00 P.M. a few nights ago. Also, I have a nephew who is in Pharmacy school and he told me that this apparently is a serious problem.

You never know, do you?? (06/18/2007)

By matjat

Hand Sanitizers Are Poison To Children

This stuff is used in my son's Spec Ed class. I volunteer and see the teachers squirt it on the kid's hands before lunch, more convenient for them than having to wash hands of 7 kids but I am letting them know about this or at least request that my son's hands are washed with soap and water. He has his hands in his mouth all the time! He's in Summer School now and I don't know what's going on there but I'm assuming it's the hand sanitizer so I printed the article and am sending in his backpack tomorrow.

I am also going to send it as an email to the school district. I think they need to know this and should stop encouraging the use of it on the youngest kids, especially those with special needs that don't understand things like this. (06/18/2007)

By Debbie52

Hand Sanitizers Are Poison To Children

Be aware also, for slighter older kids, that this stuff is also quite flammable. (I won't go into details but we have had an "incident" here). Not sufficient reason I think to outlaw it but certainly grounds for close supervision as always with almost anything and children! (06/18/2007)

By pandama

Hand Sanitizers Are Poison To Children

I never knew this. Thank you. (07/23/2008)

By mulberry204

Parenting Toddler and Preschooler SafetyAugust 17, 2009
Isopropyl Alcohol
Isopropyl Alcohol Stain on Wood Furniture
Food Poisoning
Preventing Food Poisoning
Champagne glasses at a wedding.
Serving Alcohol at a Wedding
Hand Sanitizer
Removing Hand Sanitizer Stains on Wood
🎄