Yorkies Barking Too Much

We have 4 really cute Yorkies but they bark at everything and everyone that comes in the house including us. If one starts they all start. They even bark at each other when we let them out the back door at any hour of the day or night. It's so annoying. Does anyone have any ideas how we can curb their awful barking?

Jan from Copiague, NY

Dogs hate the smell of citrus. They sell an anti-bark collar that releases the scent of citronella every time the dog barks. They come to associate barking with the smell and will stop pretty quickly. It's totally harmless but expensive, these collars are about $100.00 a piece. Maybe you could get the same result by spraying a citrus scented body spray or room spray near the dogs when they bark.

Try using a spray bottle filled with water. When one of the dogs barks, spritz it in the face with water and say No or Quiet! After a while, the sight of the bottle should be enough to quiet the dogs down.

Our son had a Yorkie that would bark if a leaf fell off a tree 2 streets over.HA

We purchased a collar that made a rattling noise when the dog barked. The dog didn't like the sound, and soon stopped the barking.

It didn't hurt the dog like a shock collar would have.

Sorry can't remember catalog. But maybe you can look online.

My mother has two small dogs (a chi and a pom) who bark a lot! She uses the spray bottle, the chi hates it and runs, but the pom loves it and opens her mouth to catch the water! Well, she does stop barking!

You said that when one barks they all start, it is probably the same one(the pack leader) that barks first so try to correct that one first and the rest will follow. You should be the pack leader, dogs like children need discipline. You only need a firm voice, when they start to bark stand up straight and say a firm "NO", it will work. Never say the dogs name when giving discipline, they associate their name with affection and using it when disciplining them will only confuse them.

Good Luck and remember it may take a while but be consistant.

Most Yorkies are adorable little LOUD barkers. I have one

hence I know! I used a small squirt gun with water and

zapped the lil bugger and he did not like it so he quit.

It was cheaper and not painful like shock collars.

You know the Dog Whisperer, Cesar Millan on Nat Geo? I just bought his new book, 'Be the Pack Leader'. I just wish I'd tried this two years ago. My dog is so much happier and more energetic, problems are getting resolved so fast, Please Buy the Book! that or his earlier one, Cesar's Way, or BOTH. That's all I can say about it! I have a whole new non-depressed dog!

PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE DON'T use negative reinforcement to correct your dogs problems, they often create more/different problems. In my 23 years experience in training dog owners, positive reinforcement can occasionally take a little longer but lasts a lifetime! Check out Caesar he knows what he's doing. Collars and such like devices are horrible, if you wouldn't do it to a child don't do it to your dog! You must catch the dog in the act or you WILL fail. Work on the pack leader and you WILL solve the problem.

Just use a shock collar. It works great!

I am a caregiver and take care of a older man who has some slight dementia and wears a prosthetic leg. He has two dogs, one being a yorkie that is the most disgusting dog I've ever met. I've been around many dogs even working in shelters. We tried positive reinforcement but my client is so slow in responding due to his medical problems that it's useless. 5-15 minutes will pass before he says "NO".

I get waken up at all hours of the night my neighbors complain and worst of all my perfectly trained Airedale (my dog) who was trained to bark if the fire alarm or other high pitched noise goes off only has begun barking whenever I leave or pull up in the driveway. I'm about ready to kick my client out. I'm getting a shock collar because nothing else is working!

Pets Dogs Training AdviceNovember 1, 2007
Dog Barking
Neighbor's Dogs Bark All the Time
Spicy Soup With Peppers
Fixing Soup With Too Much Pepper
Barking Dachshund
Training a Dog to Stop Barking
Spaghetti Sauce
Spaghetti Sauce With Too Much Basil
🎄
🍂