RosesGardening

Something is Eating My Roses

There is something chewing up my climbing roses and my strawberries. There are little holes ALL OVER! The strawberries are a new addition, located close to the roses, but the climbing roses have been there a long time. They climb up the side of my house about 12 to 14 feet and I really need to do something to save them!

I havent seen any bugsm just the holes in the leaves. They bloomed nicely again this year but as the blooms fade now there are holes.

Thank you! I just love this web site!

Patty

I usually have a problem with something eating my roses. I have found that Ortho's Orthenex works great. It lasts for 2 weeks or more and it doesn't wash off in the rain. It protects against bugs and diseases.

I found an elephant garlic in a field that my grandfather had planted years ago. I thought it was a leek. :-) My grandmother told me it was a garlic and insisted that I plant it next to my rose bushes and that it would keep bugs away from them. I planted two of the garlics in front of my roses and don't have any bugs. I also put egg shells and banana peels around the base of the bushes and that seems to have made them bloom a LOT this year. Don't know which was the magic solution, but my other plants in other locations are getting eaten by grasshoppers or something and the roses are perfectly fine.

I found little green worms curled up sleeping on the leaves of my roses, I just plucked them off. good thing is... no beetles this year as last year we put them in a can of soapy water. good luck with the roses.

Whew I too use banana peels in my rose beds egg shells tho hmm. All I know is bananas do contain potassium which is the same as the last number on a organic fertilizer. N P K K means potassium

It doesn't do much if anything at all for rose pest in fact a decaying peel does draw fruit flies (harmless and not at all interested in the flowers or whole plant. My guess is it must be that garlic thing you found.

Guess what now I have to go find me one or two to grow next year in my flower bed. Pssst Ortho user

notice how the garlic bulb doesn't cost more money overtime you run out of Ortho

If the holes are completely round, I would say they are cutter bees. Here is an article that explains what they do and how to control them. By the way, I have them too.