Caring For and Storing Silk Clothing

How do I store my silk, beaded evening jacket, please? I want to keep it, but don't wear it a lot. It's black silk with metallic beading all over it.

Thank you!

By metroplex from Houston, TX

May 6, 2011 Flag

I have a silk shirt that needs ironing. What is the best way to do this so I don't ruin it?

By Jess from Hillsboro, OR

Answer This QuestionWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Don't iron it! I would try steam first - try hanging it in the bathroom during your shower. I think if you try to iron it the iron will burn right through. Sometimes I throw wrinkled clothes in the dryer with a wet towel, that works pretty well, but I don't know if I'd try it with silk.

Place a very thin (white) cotton cloth over the blouse once the blouse is in the normal ironing position(s). Mist the cotton fabric with water and iron on low heat (my current iron low heat states silk/polyester). That's how I've always ironed my silk fabrics. Takes a bit of extra effort using the cotton cloth but no worries having an 'iron' mark that way. :-)

As Deeli said, you have to use the lowest setting on your iron. You will not burn right through unless you have it on high heat. I have ironed straight on the silk shirt, misting as I go, without the protective cloth. But that was when everyone was wearing silk shirts a lot. I didn't have time for a press cloth. If this is a very special shirt, go with the press cloth as Deeli describes.

Consumer Advice Clothing AdviceAugust 2, 2010
Golden silk fabric
Cleaning Silk
Silk Wedding Flowers
Silk Flower Wedding Centerpieces
Design Your Own Silk Scarf
Design Your Own Silk Scarf
Silk Upholstery
Removing Stains from Silk Upholstery
© 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on October 21, 2016 at 2:02:41 AM on in 935 msecs. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.