Saving Money on Hand Soap

Here is how I save money on soap. I do not have a brand loyalty, so when I see soap at rummage sales and garage sales, I buy it, often at 10-25 cents a bar. Often it is something fancy from a gift set. I have not paid full price for years.

When my soap bars get small, I save them in a paper cup. When I have a good amount of these scraps, I grate them and add just enough water to make the crumbs stick together in a clay-like consistency then I form it into bars by hand. I let it dry a bit, for a week or so, before using. It lasts a long time. Use these for everyday hand-washing and bathing and save some of the designer soap for when you have company.

By kemperjl from Gilbertsville, NY

New bars of soap are generally very soft to give you that 'sudsy' feeling when lathering up, buy 6 to 10 bars of soap, remove the wrappers, place in a basket container and let the soaps dry out for a minimum of 3 weeks (when your supply gets down to 2 bars, buy again and repeat) you won't see your soap suds flowing down the drain and you will still get a clean wash and the bar will last twice as long.

When the bar gets to a size that is almost useless, stick it to the underside of a new bar and keep on bathing, in less than a day, it will adhere to the new bar. The drying soap bars will add their scent to the bathroom.