Stretching Liquid Hand Soap

Category Tips
Stretching the liquid hand soap you use is one way to cut household expenses. This is a guide about stretching liquid hand soap.

My family uses anti-bacterial soap at the kitchen and utility room sinks and with hands being washed constantly in my household, the cost adds up quickly! To make the soap last longer, I keep spare bottles and thin the soap down with water, usually 1 part soap to not quite 3 parts water. Sure saves the pennies. I have been doing this for over 20 years now.

By Vicki from Monroe, MI

Liquid antibacterial soap is so expensive and maybe not good for your health. I buy Suave scented shampoo when it is on sale at a rock bottom price. Fill your liquid soap dispenser 1/3 full of the low cost Suave and then fill the rest with nice warm water. Rotate a few times to mix the solution. Now you have pretty, scented, pure soap that's designed to cut grease and oil. What you don't have is the antibacterial effect, but why do you need it? I've been doing this for years and people often comment in the good smelling soap in the bathroom. A bottle of Suave lasts a long time and costs about 10 cents a refill in my bathroom dispenser.

By Janet E. from Suring, WI

I purchase a 64 ounce bottle of liquid refill 'Soft Soap' (it's quite concentrated) at whatever store has it on sale and dilute it with equal parts of water in to empty shampoo bottles, hand soap bottles and dish soap bottles. In a pinch I've even used it as laundry soap!

There is only myself in the household and that one bottle lasts about six months or more for me at the very top cost of about 6 to 8 cents per ounce! Check out the per ounce prices next time you shop and you'll see that this certainly saves a lot of money!

Rather than buying all the different types of soaps that are costly because they are 'specialized', why not try this? After all, 'soap is soap' and my dishes, hands, and hair have not suffered a single bit!

By Deeli from Richland, WA

Make liquid hand and dish soap last longer. Once the soap in one of those foam dispensers is gone, refill it 1/4 of the way with regular liquid soap and the rest of the way with water (add the soap last to prevent foaming out over the bottle). Then shake it and you now have a full bottle of soap. it makes those big refill bottles of hand or dish soap last for a year or more, depending on usage. And you save money (and the environment) by not having to buy bottles of soap all the time.

Source: I saw it on Good Morning America last year.

By Claudia from York, PA

Answers:

Stretching Liquid Hand Soap

This works so great! I have never tried it with dish soap, but with the little foam dispensers for hand soap? Works great!

(04/08/2009)

By Jennifer

Stretching Liquid Hand Soap

I also add concentrated disinfectant to my liquid hand soap (generic brands) as this means that I don't have to wash my hands and then disinfect them, if for example I have come back inside after working in the garden, etc.

I have also made my own handsoap by grating up all of those small hand soaps that motels and hotels leave in their room for guests. I add hot water to this mixture, until it becomes the consistency that I want and then I decant my "homemade" liquid soap into old liquid handsoap dispensers/bottles.

I have not tried this one yet but I have been told that hair shampoo can be diluted down to your preferred "thin-ness" or "runniness". If you buy cheap hair shampoo by the litre (it costs about $2 a litre in the bargain basement shops here in Australia) and dilute it down, then this too can be used for inexpensive liquid handsoap. (05/16/2009)

By Bern Johnson

Stretch liquid hand soap by refilling your pump dispenser 1/2 and 1/2 with a top brand and an off brand and adding a little mouthwash for extra germ killing power! It doesn't have to be used full thickness which a lot of people have known about and have touted watering it down some, but the mouthwash has 2 pluses. 1: it thins the soap a bit and 2: it adds a nice mint scent!

If you don't like the mint, you can add the mediciny kind or citrus or cinnamon. I add cinnamon during the holidays!

By Veronica