Homemade Liquid Hand Soap Recipes

Category Home Remedies
Making your own liquid soap at home can save you money and smell just the way you want it to. This page contains homemade liquid hand soap recipes.

Make your own liquid hand soap or foam hand soap from soap scraps that normally go to waste!

Total Time: 1/2 hour plus overnight setting

Yield: one gallon

• 1 bar worth soap scraps or little hotel soaps to equal one bar for one gallon
  • 1 gal water
  • pot
  • mixer
  • optional: essential oils
  • bottles to store

1. Cut up or grate scraps of soap bars and add to a pot with one gallon water, heat and let it melt until smooth.
  2. Turn off heat and let cool. I left mine overnight. It will gel up.
  3. I used my mixer and mixed it for about 3 minutes to break down the clumpy gelatinous mass. You may add more water if you want thinner soft soap. I chose not to this time.
  4. Ad

5. If you would like you may add a few drops of your favorite essential oils to scent the soap, or not, your choice!
  6. Then just pour some of the soap into some pump bottles (perhaps your recycling bin?) and save the rest in a larger bottle for refilling!
  7. Note: You may choose to separate some soap to scent while preserving the rest unscented so you can change scents the next time (by mixing in a different scent before bottling it) for use.
    It makes a ton!
  8. Ad

9. Extra tip: You may thin down the soap to a 1/4 ratio if you have an empty soap foam dispensing bottle to turn it into a foam soap too!

You can make your own handsoap from one bar of soap. Grate one (1) small bar of any kind of soap and add 3 cups of water. Put mixture in a microwave safe container and zap for 3 minutes. Pour into a handsoap container with a pump when cool. Makes 24 oz.

-sewingmamma

• 1/2 cup aloe vera gel
  • 1/4 cup 99% rubbing alcohol
  • 1/2 - 3/4 tsp. bubble gum fragrance oil

Directions:

Mix all ingredient together pour into pump style or squeeze bottle don't like to scent of bubble gum? Just use another scent of fragrance oil instead.

By IMAQT1962 from IL

I would like to make liquid hand soap. I am looking for a good frugal recipe.
Thank you.

By Laura from NH

Answers

A long time ago I purchased bottles of liquid hand soap at the Dollar store. When they ran out I refilled them with colored liquid dish soap using 1/3 soap and 2/3 water. Sometimes I put a drop of lavender oil in the bottle too. Hope this helps! I reuse the bottles until they need replacing.

I read that you can use plain old bubble bath. I do, and just fill up a used dish soap containter. It makes your hands feel so soft and smell so good!

Great ideas! Thank you. I could check out the dollar store, to see if they have large dish soap or bath soap, and dilute to a good mix.

Where can I get supplies for making liquid soap, perfume, and air fresher? Thanks.

Answers

Try craft stores like Joann's and Michael's or search online for specific ingredients.

Originally I thought only health food and natural stores would have supplies I wanted for these items (essential oils, particular natural materials like white cider, baking soda, etc) BUT many grocery stores now carry them and I even found essential oils both IN some dept. stores like Walmart (in health and beauty section) and on their online sites and some are the same companies at lower prices!) Happy Hunting!

Does anyone know a reliable recipe to make fragrance-free liquid hand soap?

By Kathy H.

I am looking for a recipe for 10 gallons of liquid soap. It used Oxiclean as well as the standard ingredients.

By Mary Anne