Why are the Leaves on my Rhododendron Curled?

I was given a PJM Elite Rhodie that was going to be tossed away. It had leaves that were curled up. I transplanted it into my yard and leaves are still curled after about 4 days. A branch broke off, I stuck that into a nearby pot of dirt that I have basil going in. All the leaves have opened right up, big and bold. Will this take to rooting?

Will the mother Rhodie, which is watered, but not soaked come back? What is the curling of the leaves all about?
Thanks so much for any help you will be able to give me.

Hardiness Zone: 5b

By Julie from Northvill, MI

This means it is dry, very dry!

Try soaking whole plant tons of times - or even dig it up and put in bucket or barrel of water for a few days [or few weeks!]

Hard to say if it is too far gone to live - it may just be the leaves and and it may take a season or two to find out.

I had 3 Rhododendrons that I planted in a row- and after a few years only one looked like yours, so I dug him [ her?] up and left in barrel of shallow water for close to 1-2 months and finally saw new green shoots off of it! Then I put it in a better spot.

The shoot may live but should have been dipped in rooting hormone first [ to make roots!]. Usually cuttings are taken from healthy plants (to produce more healthy plants!)

Home and Garden Gardening Plant HealthAugust 21, 2010
Pruning a Rhododendron
Pruning a Rhododendron
Dogwood tree in spring.
Leaves Turning Brown on Dogwood Tree
Pin Curling an American Girl Doll's Hair
Trumpet Vine Losing Leaves
Trumpet Vine Losing Leaves