Christmas Cactus Left Outside in Freezing Weather

Category Plant Health
Despite its dead appearance a Christmas cactus left out in freezing weather may be able to be revived. The roots may still be alive. Bring inside and check out the advice on this page. This is a guide about Christmas cactus left outside in freezing weather.

I have had a Christmas cactus for a couple of years and it finally started to bloom. It was so beautiful, well until about 2 days ago. We forgot to bring it in the house and the temperature dropped to 19 degrees. When I got home from work at 7am the leaves and blooms were frozen. I brought it in, but it is flaccid, just flopped down. Please tell me is there any help for my cactus? What should I do?

By shannon from Roanoke Rapids, NC

Answers

Best Answer

Usually you can revive them with wind. Put an oscillating fan, one that swings back and forth, in front of it, and give them a bit of warm water.
Have FUN!
DearWebby
http://webby.com/humor

Best Answer

Chances are the roots are fine. Just water as you usually do and keep it in the same location that it was in. If the top does not perk up, just cut the whole plant back to the top of the pot and be patient.

It should regrow slow but sure. I have saved many plants that seemingly had no hope just by continuing to care for them.

I have a dead Christmas cactus, it looks like branches at this point. It was left in my car overnight back in December, of coarse in freezing temperature. Big mistake! I'm thinking it's hopeless at this point. Is there anything I can do? I've thought about trying to replant it, not sure if that's a good idea. Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Answers

Best Answer

If there is still "green plant" in the pot you may be able to save it.

• If the present pot has drainage holes then do not repot. Repot only for better drainage or if it is in a tiny pot.
  • If you repot, do not disturb the soil just add same type soil and water.
  • These do not like to be dry but too wet is not good, so do not over-water - add ice cubes once in a while when soil feels dry or, water, let drain thoroughly.
  • Do not add fertilizer for a long time - months maybe - until plant looks healthy again.
  • Gently remove any dead leaves that come off easily..
  • No direct sunlight.
  • Here is a good link for care instructions throughout the year.
  • www.wikihow.com/Care-for-a-Christmas-Cactus