Oatmeal Scones

I used to make scones with oatmeal and flour but I no longer have the recipe. I think the recipe came from a Better Homes and Garden cookbook, I just haven't located the correct edition. Does anyone have a recipe for scones using oatmeal and flour?

David from Santa Cruz, California

To celebrate the new year we are giving away $200 in Amazon gift cards for people who answer questions on ThriftyFun in January! Click here to find out more...

Hi David,

This Oatmeal Scone recipe didn't come from

Better Homes and Gardens, but it's a good one

anyway. I hope it'll keep you happy until you

find the one you want.

All the best,

Julia in Orlando, FL

Oatmeal Scones

3 cups plus 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour

1/2 cup plus 2 tablespoons granulated sugar

1 1/4 tsp salt

1 1/4 teaspoons baking soda

2 1/2 teaspoons baking powder

1 1/4 cups (2 1/2 sticks) cold unsalted butter

3 cups quick-cooking oats

1 cup currants

2 tablespoons orange zest, finely chopped

3/4 cup buttermilk

Preheat oven to 400*F.

Combine the flour, sugar, salt, baking soda, baking powder, and butter in a large bowl. Use a pastry blender, or the tips of your fingers to mix in the butter.)

Add the 3 cups of oats, currants, and chopped orange zest. Continue to mix, using a large wooden spoon while slowly pouring in the buttermilk, just until the dough comes together.

Scrape the dough onto a lightly floured board and roll it out into a 3/4-inch-thick circle. Cut the dough into 10 circles, each 3 1/2-inches in diameter. Put the scones on a parchment-lined baking sheet and bake them for approximately 20 minutes, until golden brown. Makes 10 scones.

Hmm. I checked the BHG Website and didn't see anything that looked too promising. They want me to join something and fork over some money, and I am not inclined to do that. So I checked RecipeZaar and they have 12 listings. Go to http://www.reci  q=Oatmeal+Scones and see what you find. And leave no Scone Uncurned!

Food and Recipes Recipes Baking & Desserts Desserts PastriesJanuary 11, 2007
A bowl of oatmeal.
Saving Money On Oatmeal
Jar of instant oatmeal.
Homemade Instant Oatmeal Recipes
Scone on a plate with tea cup and saucer off to upper right.
Scones Recipes
A heart shaped scone.
Heart Shaped Scones
🍀
💘
© 1997-2017 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on January 16, 2017 at 7:32:52 AM on 10.0.2.240 in 2 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.