Oatmeal Scones

I used to make scones with oatmeal and flour but I no longer have the recipe. I think the recipe came from a Better Homes and Garden cookbook, I just haven't located the correct edition. Does anyone have a recipe for scones using oatmeal and flour?

David from Santa Cruz, California

Hi David,

This Oatmeal Scone recipe didn't come from

Better Homes and Gardens, but it's a good one

anyway. I hope it'll keep you happy until you

find the one you want.

All the best,

Julia in Orlando, FL

Oatmeal Scones

3 cups plus 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour

1/2 cup plus 2 tablespoons granulated sugar

1 1/4 tsp salt

1 1/4 teaspoons baking soda

2 1/2 teaspoons baking powder

1 1/4 cups (2 1/2 sticks) cold unsalted butter

3 cups quick-cooking oats

1 cup currants

2 tablespoons orange zest, finely chopped

3/4 cup buttermilk

Preheat oven to 400*F.

Combine the flour, sugar, salt, baking soda, baking powder, and butter in a large bowl. Use a pastry blender, or the tips of your fingers to mix in the butter.)

Add the 3 cups of oats, currants, and chopped orange zest. Continue to mix, using a large wooden spoon while slowly pouring in the buttermilk, just until the dough comes together.

Scrape the dough onto a lightly floured board and roll it out into a 3/4-inch-thick circle. Cut the dough into 10 circles, each 3 1/2-inches in diameter. Put the scones on a parchment-lined baking sheet and bake them for approximately 20 minutes, until golden brown. Makes 10 scones.

Hmm. I checked the BHG Website and didn't see anything that looked too promising. They want me to join something and fork over some money, and I am not inclined to do that. So I checked RecipeZaar and they have 12 listings. Go to http://www.recipezaar.com/recipes.php?q=Oatmeal+Scones and see what you find. And leave no Scone Uncurned!

Food and Recipes Recipes Baking & Desserts Desserts PastriesJanuary 11, 2007
A bowl of oatmeal.
Saving Money On Oatmeal
Jar of instant oatmeal.
Homemade Instant Oatmeal Recipes
Scone on a plate with tea cup and saucer off to upper right.
Scones Recipes
A heart shaped scone.
Heart Shaped Scones