RecyclingGreen Living

Link: Safe CFL Light Bulb Disposal

Category Recycling

Yes, we're talking about those, soon to be legally required, spiral or curved and tube type light bulbs called Compact Fluorescent Light (I call them Curly Federal Light). It's really important to know that they have enough of an amount of mercury contained in them that they can cause very serious health and environmental problems, especially collectively.

Please open the link below for a thorough list issued by the Environmental Protection Agency January 25, 2011 on how to clean up the hazardous waste from broken CFL light bulbs and how to dispose of both broken and unbroken bulbs. You are going to be shocked at the seriousness of the details! It's important not just for you and your loved ones, but also for our environment in general to be a responsible citizen when it comes to CFL bulb handling and disposal.

• http://www.epa.gov/cfl/cflcleanup.html

By Deeli from Richland, WA

• Add your voice! Click below to comment. ThriftyFun is powered by your wisdom!

Wow! I always knew that a fluorescent bulb was dangerous but this is an eye opener.

Thank you for this very important information. We really need to be super cautious should we break one of these bulbs. While the mercury bulbs save us energy which is good, there is a down side too. Where I live in CT there are stores like the home depot which will take in used bulbs. Once again be careful how you package them so that they don't break.

Thank you so much. I had no idea!

I sent that link to everyone that I know.

I say since the government (EPA) is FORCING us to use these, if they break we should send them to them and let them worry about it. Now, First Energy is going to be mailing these bulbs (6 at a time on a monthly basis) whether we need/want them or not. So, since the US Postal Service is so careful handling our packages, what happens if we open them and the bulbs are broken? Now what? These bulbs are going to be mailed for "FREE" HA, HA, HA. for the first couple of months then there will be an added charge to our electric bill to pay for them. Nice huh?

Anonymous

chef4u, I am appalled that the CFL bulbs are being foisted on us all in the first place and even more so about the program you say is happening in Ohio that is being forced on you! And what I don't understand is that Ohio seems to think you need six bulbs a month? I thought CFL's were energy efficient enough for each bulb to last for years and years! Sheesh :-( And points well taken on handling during shipping!

We've all seen how a glass light bulb will shatter when dropped. I've also seen what happens when a bulb is broken in a plastic garbage bag; it shreds the bag and the garbage falls out. I've learned to save clean, empty plastic peanut butter jars for use when I change a light bulb. I immediately put the old light bulb into the jar and put the lid on, then put it in the trash. There's no need to worry about breakage. I also use a jar when I clean up broken glass. It prevents the garbage bag from breaking open from the broken glass.

The new energy saving light bulbs we have now have mercury in them, so they should NOT go into the garbage when they wear out. They can also be put in a clean plastic jar and disposed of properly. In some cities, you can take them to the fire department for disposal because they are considered hazardous material. Your best bet is to call the company that handles your garbage pick up. BE SAFE!

By Dianne from Wilsonville, OR

Editor's Note: Fluorescent tubes also have mercury in them and probably a lot more because they are bigger. Make sure to take care of them as hazardous waste, also.

Answers:

Safe Light Bulb Disposal

Or better yet, save the paper sleeves the bulbs come in, make a mark on the dead bulb and put back into the sleeve. Then check online or call local hardware stores, a LOT of them take dead light bulbs. By putting into a peanut butter jar, not only is the jar not going to break down, but when it does then the elements of the bulb will break down, therefore contaminating our land for our future generations. (07/17/2008)

By michawnpita

Safe Light Bulb Disposal

The bad part about this (and this can be verified by the senator who spoke about these fluorescent light bulbs-- I saw the YOU TUBE clip) is that a) these mercury filled lightbulbs are to be mandatory in all homes by 2014 AND we stupidly import them in from China. Yes, great- the place we get poisonous dog food and lead painted toys. Now we'll have uninformed US citizens poisoning themselves with these more energy efficient bulbs. Also be aware that you are to clear all persons and animals from the house for 15 minutes AFTER a bulb breaks. The mercury emits a powdery substance. Nice, huh? (07/18/2008)

By

Safe Light Bulb Disposal

This is a response to the Broken Light bulb tip. The new replacement bulbs can also be harmful to ones health as the Mercury can cause many problems not really talked about too much.

Please read all information about disposal and cleaning up if you drop one of these bulbs accidentally.
    (07/19/2008)

By Bob H