Share Your Children's Interests

As my children were growing up, I often read the books and watched the programs they enjoyed. Then I could discuss what they'd watched or read from a more knowledgeable position. This was a great way to keep our mother-child bond strong. As a result, I never had problems with my children being embarrassed to be seen with me, and could even kiss and hug them in front of their friends without angst. Even though they're all grown and living on their own, we still keep in close touch. It's mostly via Facebook (we're on each other's buddy lists,) but the bond is the important thing.

Source: personal experience raising four children.

Live simply. Find joy in small things.

By JustPlainJo, Springfield, OH

I also was very interested in what interested my children and this has carried over into adulthood also. My son still tells everyone he is a mama's boy and is not ashamed. But you know what in turn my kids are interested in me. I'm not boring to them and we find so many things in common. Google the lyrics to Cat's in the Cradle and I think that just says it all.

That song makes me cry every time, it's so sad! Let me add another facet of sharing my kids' interests. After I found a job that didn't keep me away from home so much (although I earned less,) I attended every possible sporting event for all my kids. Also, when they got into marching band, choir and drama, I attended those events faithfully. I adjusted my schedule to be there for my kids. After all, how can we expect our kids to be good parents without being an example? I'm proud to say, those of my kids who now have kids (including a fifth one, a son by marriage,) are excellent parents. I hope I had something to do with that!

Parenting General Parenting AdviceSeptember 15, 2009
A cupcake with candles on it for a 40th birthday.
40th Birthday Party Ideas
Starry Night by Vincent Van Gogh
Starry Night Themed Wedding Ideas
Two child's hand print ornaments.
Homemade Birthday Gift Ideas for Mom
Photo of a sixth grading reading a book in a library.
Book Suggestions for Sixth Graders