Make a Master List for Camping

This tip is for your new recreation section. On one of our camping trips, I took the time to write down everything we had brought with us, tips about how we had packed that had worked or had not worked, and items we forgot. When we got home I saved this master list, divided into categories of where that item is typically kept at home: garage, storage building, kitchen, etc.

Now when we are going to go camping, I just print our list and check off as we gather items from each area - no more running around from place to place as things come to my mind! I also bring the paper copy that we packed from with us, making note of any additions or deletions so I can update my master list when I get home.

By Cindy

Any chance you can share a copy with us?

Great idea! I do the same for vacations too. I have 2 different packing lists - camping and vacations. I built them in Excel print them when we're going away and check things off as I go.

We do the same thing with having a camping list. I print out the list when we are getting ready to go, and mark off the list as we pack the trailer. Seems we rarely forget anything this way.

We took this one step further. After a camping trip a few years ago, I went to Walmart and purchased a huge plastic tote. I taped our list to the lid of the tote. We keep it stocked with first-aid kit, bug spray, dish liquid, plates, cups, etc... Also whenever we get new bath towels, I put our old towels into the tote for camping. When we're ready to go, our tote is packed, we gather food, clothes, and bedding and go.

I keep most of my camping cooking items in a large clear tote. I put my silverware or plastic ware in a clear shoebox storage container. I pack clothes in a matched set in a large freezer bag(shirt, pants, underwear & socks).for each day we camp.(ALSO keeps from getting wet in shower houses) I purchased Indivial Packs to put shower items in(toothbrush,toothpaste,soap, shampoo,& whatever else a person may need in a shower house. I use a seperate tote for non-pershible foods.I freeze all meats prior to camping . works as a "ice pack" on things I can't freeze. I label my totes as camping totes and I'm ready to go in no time. I purchase my camping cookware at yard sales or where ever to use for camping only saves a lot of time. I always use gallon. quarts, and pints freezer bags to store leftover food in easily tossed out if not used again. These are also great to store sandwich meats in. Please purchase you a bread keeper for your bread to keep it from getting mashed. HAPPY CAMPING!!!!!!

I dont make a list. But I do have 2 totes just for camping stuff. We keep old blankets, towels,cooking items in them while being stored away. When camping they are used for food and keeping our cooking stuff dry and clean. I shop garage sales and thrift stores for dishes, bowls, cooking items.

All our camping gear, tent, cots, chairs etc.. are all in one spot in the attic. So we can just pack our food and clothing and off we go. Saves us from running all over the house looking for stuff. :)

Precooking meat saves time. Freazing it will help it keep longer. Prescramble eggs, and have some premade meals for the first night or two helps also. Gallon size baggies are great to take along for left overs. Love the idea of the bread box or keeper. goign to do that next trip out.

I have a tote also that I use each time. When we get ready to go, I pack everything in it. When we are ready to come home, I load everything that I need to take back into the house. When I wash the dish towels & everything else I just put them back in the tote, then it's ready when we go again. It saves me a lot of time going back & forth to the camper.

We make a "check" list for camping to make sure we have everything; we have been camping for over 30 years. Our check list includes:

• If it is possible, make reservations at the campground you will be visiting so you will know exactly what campsite you will be using.
  • Check food supply and replenish if necessary
  • we normally buy what we need in the way of perishable items when we arrive at the camping area.
  • Tablecloth
  • plastic for covering picnic tables
  • Portable picnic table
  • check plans at http://wwwfamilyfun.Com or camping table
  • Portable bbq grill and bbq utensils
  • Boom and mop
  • Cleaning supplies
  • dishwashing detergent, clorox wipes or a bottle of clorox, baby wipes, brillo pads, washing powders or liquid
  • Cooking equipment & cooking utensils
  • make sure all cooking equipment is clean and in good working condition
  • Paper products
  • coffee cups, drinking cups, straws, paper plates, napkins, plastic cutlery
  • Linens
  • bed linens, dishtowels, bathtowels and wash cloths
  • Dirty laundry
  • each person should have a laundry bag for dirty laundry; make sure there is clothesline rope or plastic clotheslines that can be hung on trees for wet items.
  • Toiletries
  • each person should have a bag packed with those items
  • Medical kit
  • includes prescriptions, first aid items, insect repellent, sunscreen
  • Flashlights, lanterns, citronella candles
  • Repair anything that needs to be repaired on camper and a list is made
  • Projects to take to do in spare time
  • Inform the neighbors of our plans and ask them to pick up mail,water plants, take care of animals, etc.
  • Check calendar for appointments and rearrange appointments if necessary
  • Leave a radio playing in the house while we are away
  • Battery chargers for electronic equipment taken on trip
  • Lawn chairs
  • Swimming supplies (floats, flotation devices, etc.)
  • Leave lights on in house
  • Firewood
  • make a bundle of kindling and firewood for trip
  • Matches
  • fireplace matches and short matches; i keep them in a metal tin to keep them dry
  • Small appliances that might be needed (toaster, blow dryer, radios, television sets, etc.). This is just a few tips that i can think of that help us in getting reading for a trip.
  • Water supply
  • Plan meals and make sure all ingredients are available in the food supplies .
  • Make grocery list to purchase when arrive at campground (perishables, ice, ingredients for meals, etc.)

This is a great idea. I also use a master list for the menu that I use. I decide what each meal will be and then divide it into three sections: Need to buy from store, Need to take from home, and Check to see if still packed in food box (salt/pepper). I update the menu each year and this gives me a start for next. Just got back from a week long trip and didn't leave anything home that I needed.

Travel and Recreation Recreation Camping PlanningJune 30, 2006
Children Laughing in Campground
Camping with Children
Mom and 3 girls Camping in the Rain
Camping in the Rain
Ninja Master Prep
Using a Ninja Master Prep
Ninja Prep Master Pro
Recipes for the Ninja Prep Master Pro