Dry Bulk Yeast vs. Yeast Packets

Hi,
Does anyone know how much yeast is in a packet? I have bulk yeast but forget how many teaspoons or tablespoons are in a packet. So many recipes call for packets.
Thanks,
Susan

Filter: All Articles Sort: Relevance

It's 2 1/4 teaspoons. :)

2-1/4 teaspoons equal 1 packet.

Resalee

Susan,

what is equal to the packet yeast is 2 1/4 teaspoon or 1/4 oz. Hope this helps. Beverly in Arkansas.

on the average there's is aproximately 2 tsp in a package of dry yeast...I have found a few that actually have 2 and 1/4 tsp but that is more or less a 50:50 occurance....Mary (Magicsmom) from Tennessee

PS: If you're using a Bread Machine you could use the following guide lines;

for one pound loaf use 1tsp

for one and half use 1 1/2 tsp

and for a two pound loaf use 1 and 3/4 tsp

of the bulk yeast ....when I decide not to use my Bread Machine I use the above formulas and my loafs actually turn out really nice.

2 and 1/2 tsps to one packet of yeast. I do it all the time.Denise. I see everyone else says 2 and 1/4 tsps. Maybe they are right!!!

"A 1/4 -ounce packet of active dry yeast contains approximately 2-1/2 teaspoons; the measurement will not be exact as yeast is packaged according to weight rather than volume. A packet of yeast is sufficient to raise 4 cups, approximately 1-pound, of flour." From the Red Star Yeast website

I have found that the two and a half tsp is fine - give or take an amount of yeast in a recipe does not affect the rising; I make 4 loaves of wheat bread at once and I use about 7 tsp yeast - give or take. Seems fine always.

www.foodsubs.com/LeavenYeast.html

2 1/4 t.

Add your voice! Click below to comment on this post or add your answer to this question. ThriftyFun is powered by your wisdom.

Yeast for Baking
Buying and Using Yeast for Baking
Food and Recipes Food Tips BakingMarch 28, 2005
A package of cornmeal.
Dry Carpet Cleaner Recipes
A yeast free cheese pizza.
No Yeast Pizza Dough Recipes
Adult Diapers
Buying Adult Diapers in Bulk
Package of Ramen Noodles
Uses for Ramen Seasoning Packets
© 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on June 21, 2016 at 9:02:24 AM on 10.0.1.140 in 911 msecs. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.