Question
Share>Newsletters>Account>About>

Dry Bulk Yeast vs. Yeast Packets

Hi,
Does anyone know how much yeast is in a packet? I have bulk yeast but forget how many teaspoons or tablespoons are in a packet. So many recipes call for packets.
Thanks,
Susan

Here are the recent answer to this question.

09/21/2012

www.foodsubs.com/LeavenYeast.html
2 1/4 t.

By Rebecca (Guest Post)04/06/2007

I have found that the two and a half tsp is fine - give or take an amount of yeast in a recipe does not affect the rising; I make 4 loaves of wheat bread at once and I use about 7 tsp yeast - give or take. Seems fine always.

By Andrea (Guest Post)03/18/2006

"A 1/4 -ounce packet of active dry yeast contains approximately 2-1/2 teaspoons; the measurement will not be exact as yeast is packaged according to weight rather than volume. A packet of yeast is sufficient to raise 4 cups, approximately 1-pound, of flour." From the Red Star Yeast website

By denise06/09/2005

2 and 1/2 tsps to one packet of yeast. I do it all the time.Denise. I see everyone else says 2 and 1/4 tsps. Maybe they are right!!!

By Mary L. Ponte03/30/2005

on the average there's is aproximately 2 tsp in a package of dry yeast...I have found a few that actually have 2 and 1/4 tsp but that is more or less a 50:50 occurance....Mary (Magicsmom) from Tennessee
PS: If you're using a Bread Machine you could use the following guide lines;
for one pound loaf use 1tsp
for one and half use 1 1/2 tsp
and for a two pound loaf use 1 and 3/4 tsp
of the bulk yeast ....when I decide not to use my Bread Machine I use the above formulas and my loafs actually turn out really nice.

By Beverly (Guest Post)03/29/2005

Susan,
what is equal to the packet yeast is 2 1/4 teaspoon or 1/4 oz. Hope this helps. Beverly in Arkansas.

By T. leighty03/28/2005

2-1/4 teaspoons equal 1 packet.

Resalee

By Suzanne (Guest Post)03/28/2005

It's 2 1/4 teaspoons. :)

Here are questions related to Dry Bulk Yeast vs. Yeast Packets.

Question: Packets of Yeast in a Case

Package of Fleischmann's yeast.How many packets of yeast are in a case? These are the small packets of about 2 1/4 tsp.

By Lynda