Why Did My Cornbread Turn Out Dry?

Category Bread
Dry crumbly cornbread is a disappointing result to the time spent preparing this tasty complement to many meals. This is a guide about, "Why did my cornbread turn out dry?".

My corn bread is dry. I followed the recipe on the cornmeal box. Can someone please help me?

By Sharon from MI

Answers

Best Answer

Sharon, mine always was, too until I started adding a heaping tablespoon of sour cream to the batter- also I throw in about 1/3 of a cup of frozen corn kernels, try it once and see, cook it a tad bit longer but don't overcook and this might be your new cornbread recipe!

Best Answer

Sharon, I learned this hint from a friend who makes delightfully moist and sweet cornbread: Add one more egg than the recipe instructions call for, and a tablespoon of honey.

I'm sure exceptions exist, but every boxed, bagged, or from scratch cornbread batter I've used since, always turns out better with the extra egg and honey. Good luck and Enjoy!

My cornbread is hard. I add sour cream and oil, along with milk and an egg. But it is just awful. Please help. I have tried so many recipes, but it doesn't help. They aren't what I expect.

Answers

Best Answer

I like Jiffy mix also but sometimes you may just wish to make it from "scratch". Several things may be happening with your cornbread so think about what could be changed to improve the texture.

What type of pan are you using? I use cast iron muffin pan or cast iron corn pone pan or a 8" square glass baking pan. Always grease pan. Try changing your pan - even if just for good luck!
Is the temperature of your oven correct? Ovens do not always show the correct temperature. If do not have an oven thermomotor to verify then I would suggest lowering your oven at least 10-15 degrees.
Are you mixing to much? Mixture should only be "folded" several times until wet but still coarse (not smooth).
Are you baking too long or leaving in oven after it is done? Bake only correct time and start checking before time is up (check quickly as not to lose temperature of oven).
We sometimes either add 1/2 cup of corn kernels (frozen work good) or substitute cream corn (canned) for 1/3 to 1/2 of the liquid called for in recipe.

I love Paula Dean's recipes and here is a link to her recipe for cornbread. A little more work but it is really good. This recipe calls for buttermilk (which many people never buy) so I have listed a link on how to make buttermilk substitute. Good luck with your next batch.

www.foodnetwork.com/.../moist-and-easy-cornbread-recipe-1921711

www.thebalance.com/how-to-make-a-buttermilk-substitute...