Question
Share>Newsletters>Account>About>

Organizing DVDs

0 0EmailFollow
Pin It
A pile of DVD cases.

Organizing your DVDs will keep your collection looking tidy and make it easier to find the movie you want. This is a guide about organizing your DVDs.

Here are questions related to Organizing DVDs.

Question: Organizing DVDs

Does anyone have ideas on organizing DVD disks?

By Alexis from Peterborough, Ontario, Canada

Most Recent Answer

By Betty [104]01/20/2010

I purchased a leather case at WalMart that holds over 200 for $19.95. They previously were in their cases and on a shelf collection dust. Best thing I ever did when I bought that case. Easy to flip through to find the one I'm looking for and the case takes up very little room. I did keep the cases in case I may want to sell or trade one some time. They are stored in boxes out of the way in a storage area.

Solutions: Organizing DVDs

Do you have knowledge about this guide topic? Feel free to share a solution!

Thrifty Fun has been around so long that many of our pages have been reset several times. Archives are older versions of the page and the feedback that was provided then.

Archive: Organizing DVDs

How do you all organize your DVDs? How do you convince your kids to put them back in their cases instead of stacking them up near the TV? And, how long to you keep DVDs? If they haven't been watched in a long time, do you just eBay them?

Thanks.
John from Kent, WA

RE: Organizing DVDs

I had luck using the age old method of bribery. I used a couple blank DVD cases "available at Walmart, etc." I had the kids put them in the hole left by the one they were using, every time they brought the blank back to me they got a treat, cheap toy, etc. Even my 4 year old got the hang of it quickly, of course checking to make sure the real DVD has been returned is a good idea, at first. I now only check randomly when it is convenient for me. (04/04/2006)

By Serena Rena

RE: Organizing DVDs

I organize my DVDs alphabetically by title. The kids (2 teens) love it because they're able to find the movies when they want them. My husband built a shelf out of plywood. Each shelf is 4 feet wide and 6 inches deep. One sheet of plywood made a floor to ceiling shelf. I love organizing so I keep a typed list on the computer of all the movies. Once a year I make the kids look through the movies and pull the ones they no longer want. I offer those to friends and relatives first, then the public library or Goodwill. (04/04/2006)

By Cheryl from MO

RE: Organizing DVDs

When you have too many or are tired of them, trade with neighbors, give them to your local library, age appropriate boys/girls clubs or senior centers. Call and ask if they are needed first. Share. (04/04/2006)

By Great Granny Vi

RE: Organizing DVDs

This was my pet peeve. I like to have the DVD's out and alphabetized. This is so you can find the DVD's easily, but also so I notice if there are any missing. I have two elementary aged kids, and two teenage sisters, and one additional child, my husband. There were always DVDs missing, thrown about, or in the wrong cases. I finally moved them out of the living room, and into my (locked) closet. After about a month, all five of them appreciated the use of my DVDs. (05/01/2006)

By Annie

RE: Organizing DVDs

We bought one of those binders that holds CDs/DVDs and gave away the cases to people (some use them for used ones or their home DVDs). So we have 100 DVDs in a 3 inch width of space on the bottom shelf. I don't let the 4 year old normally handle them, but he is good to remind us to put them back. When you don't have a case, it is easier to be cautious. When we borrow out or need to carry them, we use the paper sleeves from the DVDs computer ones. (05/01/2006)

By camo_angels

RE: Organizing DVDs

We don't normally sell them on eBay, but we buy from clearance "classic" racks. We only buy a new movie if it is "a must have". We also trade with a friend of ours who has almost 1000. (05/01/2006)

By camo_angels

RE: Organizing DVDs

I actually bought media storage from IKEA for $3.99 ea. They are beige canvas DVD, VHS, and CD holders that zip with a little plastic window on them. I have four for my DVDs with the Alpha category on the front. The kids love the challenge of putting the DVD in the right case and often times we'll have mini-contests to see who can organize them exactly in alpha order in record time.

I'll post the link and image for reference. I also bought a five disc DVD player for about $120 and that avoids having movies stacked up near the TV and the empty cases are stacked instead and put away all at once when we're tired of watching any of those five.

ikea.com (05/17/2006)

By NHysHands

RE: Organizing DVDs

RE: Organizing DVDs

I put them in a photo album. I first get rid of the hard case, insert the paper portion that interests me, and then slide the DVD in on top of that. All the DVDs are kept in one notebook this way. (07/23/2009)

By dev613

RE: Organizing DVDs

I use an Excel spreadsheet. My son has around 150 so it took awhile to set it up, but it's been well worth the effort. After typing them in Excel I sorted them in alphabetic order then went back and numbered all of them. I taped the numbers on them so that when they are standing up on the bookshelf I can see the numbers. The print out has the corresponding number.

When buying another one the number gets added to the end. It won't be in alphabetical order, but I can find it by it's number. We look at the list to see what we want to watch, then since they are in order on the shelf we go to that number. Simple and very easy to find. I got this idea from someone else on line. (08/11/2009)

By TXBetty