Storing CDs and DVDs

Category Media
Storing CDs
Depending on usage, size of your collection, and space available, there are various options for storing CDs and DVDs. This is a guide about storing CDs and DVDs.

Are you finding you have too many DVDs and not enough places to store them? I did. So I purchased several three ring binders, plastic sheet protectors, and DVD envelopes.

I remove the movie information sheet, put the DVD into a DVD envelope, put them into a plastic protector sheet, and place in the ring binder. I label the ring binders with the movie genre and store on a bookshelf. You can fit at least 20 movies in a small three ring binder.

The plastic DVD cases go into the recycling and I save a couple for when friends wish to borrow them. The space saved is enormous, and you can cover the ring binders to match your decor if you wish.

By Sabre63 from Melbourne, Australia

Thrifty space saving tip for campers who don't want to give up their music and movie collections.

We just recently moved from our house to become full time campers. Moving from a 2400 sq. ft home to a 256 sq. ft home requires some strategy and sacrifice. I am a huge music lover. Over the years my husband and I have collected around 200 music CD's. That takes up a lot of space that we didn't really have for "just" music. But it pained me to think I'd have to give them up. Since we learned about analog TV becoming extinct (and because we decided we did not want to buy that special box), we decided to "beef up" our DVD movie collection (including getting our VCR movies on DVD). But 200 DVDs take up a lot of space and it pained me to give up all those movies.

In the end I came up with an idea that allowed me to keep all my music and movies and have it take up very little space in our camper. Using our local Freecycle group (look it up on yahoo groups), many people were willing to pass along to us CD spindles that almost everyone throws away. These are the spindle cases that blank CDs are packaged in when you buy them in bulk of 25 or more (typically). In the end, we were able to put 100 CDs or DVDs in one (100 size) case and it took up the space of 10 inches high and the diameter of just more than 1 DVD/CD. We keep the CDs up by the driver's seat and the movies back in the bedroom.

This is also an ideal suggestion for those soon going to college and wanting to take more DVDs and CDs than their dorm space would normally allow.

By Amy from CO

Does anyone have an suggestions on how I can store my children's CD/DVDs? We have several movies and computer games that are getting scratched. The kids are little, so they have a hard time remembering to put them back in the cases (plus the youngest one can't open the cases!).

Melanie from Colorado Springs, CO

Answers:

Storing Children's CDs and DVDs

I have two boys, 6 and 4, and we have this same problem. I have two solutions, depending on how much control you want the kids to have.

The first is to just put all the movies and games up high or in a hall closet and only allow the adults to put in the disks. This may also prevent equipment breakages (I've been through at least two DVD players, thanks to my youngest)

The second is to keep them in their cases, or in one of the big CD books with sleeves. I have them in the cases in little milk crates designed for them. They were very cheap, about a buck each, and are stackable and portable. I insist that the kids put away the movies or games right away. To reinforce this, we have an agreement that any loose movies or movie cases on the floor are taken away. I only had to take away a few of their favorites before they started to get into a routine.

We use a combination of the two. Kids movies are always accessible but the movies that I care about, Star Wars, Harry Potter, etc., are put up and need to be asked for.

For the scratched disks, there is a product called CD Skip Fix or something along those lines. I get it at Fred Meyer in the electronics area but most larger stores probably have it or something similar. It is a liquid that you let dry and then buff off. It does a really good job of fixing scratches. Don't bother with the devices that turn, they just make the problem worse, in my experience. The information is sandwiched between the two clear plastic sections so a scratch has to be pretty deep to actually damage it. I have also heard that you can fill the scratches in with car wax but I have no experience with this.

Good luck!

(02/09/2007)

By Jess from Portland, OR

Storing Children's CDs and DVDs

Our kids have access to their computer programs/games. They are 6 and 8 and ea have a computer. They are not careful with them and it does make me mad since they are costly. The DVD's are in this over the door shelf rack thingy. We have it over the door that leads to the basement from the kitchen...on the basement side. We have a latch on the door. They cannot then get to the DVD's and help themselves. They must ask or my husband usually chooses a movie to watch as a family before dinner.

I would like to do something better about the computer games. They don't even put them in the jewel cases and usually they are just laying helter skelter on their desks or sometimes on the floor! I am thinking those plastic sleeve type things would work well. At least I would hope I could teach them to be more respectful of these expensive items. (02/09/2007)

By Debbie52

Storing Children's CDs and DVDs

When I find loose cds or dvds, I put them in their own sandwich bag until they can be put away for later use. I also have cd soft cases which contain a large amount of cds/dvds which seems to be much easier than putting each one back in it's original case. Takes up less space and by flipping through the pages, you can see them quickly. My kids are 10-17 and they still can't put cds/dvds back in the correct cases so please don't expect yours to ever learn. If they do, congrats! (02/12/2007)

By mikki

Storing Children's CDs and DVDs

Melaine, we store our cassettes, CDs, DVDs and VHS (in original cases) on bookshelves and in drawers. Computer games are stored on shelves on the computer desk. Because VHS tapes and cases are so large we store them on a five shelf bookcase. Yes we have that many over the years and continuously growing. DVDs are smaller so we store them in drawers. We have a five drawer dresser that has two drawers filled with DVDs. We find this system works well keeping these items in their proper place. I have done this since my son was small. He's now twelve and no exceptions, everything has it's place. I guess that's why we can find what we like and need at a moments notice. It makes searching a breeze. (02/12/2007)

By jjager

Storing Children's CDs and DVDs

For computer games, my boys ages 3 and 8 each have their own cd "books" and I always help my 3 yr. old handle the discs. My oldest has a TV and VCR in his room, and a huge amount of tapes, which were getting everywhere. So i got one of those plasticy/vinyl over the door shoe organizer from target, for about 5$ each pocket will hold 2 tapes with out the cases, I tossed the cases, most were smooshed anyway. but you could use it for DVDs or CDs in their cases. or not.

Good luck, hope this helps (02/12/2007)

By Designersheets

Storing Children's CDs and DVDs

We used the 25-50 disc spindles that blank discs come on and put the cases elsewhere. That way we can have many discs handy in a little amount of space. (02/12/2007)

By Bret

Storing Children's CDs and DVDs

When my grandkids get new CDs, I make a copy, and keep the original, in case they need a new one if it gets scratched. If you have a DVD burner, you might be able to burn a copy and keep the original in a safe place. Yes, I know there are copyright laws, but I am only doing it to keep the original in good shape. (02/14/2007)

By Leann

Editor's Note: Most commercial DVDs have copyright protection to prevent copies from being made so this might not be an option for DVDs.

Storing Children's CDs and DVDs

You can purchase perfectly sized containers from the container store that can provide a ton of alternatives. Also, I would consider going to a craft store - purchasing some styrofoam and a bit of fabric, cutting notches in the foam and gluing them into the notches. then you can easily stick the CD/DVD in the slots and they won't get scratched but will be out of the way. Also, your kids can simply use a finger to lift them out and put them away. plus the foam is easy and can be shaped into a variety of shapes for fun and easy/accessibility. (05/17/2007)

By lauramauerbachatyahoo.com

Storing Children's CDs and DVDs

We are having the same problem out of our toddler son, most of our DVDs are scratched, so I decided to go to Walmart and get some of those CD covers (the paper or plastic ones ) and got a CD container to put them in. When I got home, I took all the movies out of the original case and put them in the CD cases and stored the actual DVD cases in the shed. Then I put the storage container with the DVDs in a place my son couldn't get to it. Not only does that help but it also gives you more space. (09/29/2008)

By Kesha From Alabama