Modifying Your Favorite T-Shirt

Turn plain Jane t-shirts into something casually interesting, fun and cool!

Start by carefully cutting away the neck. Then with scissors at the arm begin cutting strips about 1/4 inch wide inward (upward) the length of your scissors. Cut all the way around the arm as evenly as you can. Do the other arm. Then cut the bottom of the shirt until it is all fringed. What a way to modify your favorite t-shirt!

By Veronica from Sedalia

What a great idea!! I'll be doing this to some of my favorite tees that have stains on the bottom half but I couldn't bring myself to part with them!! Now I don't have to, Thanks!!!!

This has been a big thing, especially during the 60's and 70's, making all sorts of designs, middle patterns, and shredding everywhere. It's a lot of work but my question is: Does it last after the first wash or two? : )

that is great...I have modified many of my tee's. There is a book, Generation T and it has lots of different ideas to modify shirts to other things, including skirts, purses, etc. I love it!

You could even tie little knots in the fringe for a different look :)

Love the look. Am going to try it.

Lynda, they last in the laundry - yes. But they often come out with tangled fringe! The narrowest I ever cut my fringe was about 1/4" But to get around this: hand wash.

<b> kimmcg </b>

How about (also) adding pony beads or other beads? I would really love to see some of your alls creations : altered clothing is really "in" these days!

Uses for Old T-Shirts, Mass of brightly colored clothing.
Uses for Old T-Shirts
Crafts Clothing ShirtsMarch 30, 2007
A door opening inward.
Changing Which Way a Door Opens
Cheese and Chicken Enchiladas
Cheese and Chicken Enchilada Recipes
Loose ball of cut up t-shirts for crafting.
Crafts Using Recycled T-Shirts
Glass Top Table
Designing a Glass Top Table