Uses for Old T-Shirts

I enjoy the luxury of having a clean paper towel to wipe all and any messes, but I'm not okay with how fast I could go through a roll, the loss of forests, and the expense.

I live in a household overrun with guys so we have t-shirts coming out of our ears. I take 3-4 of the oldest when I see they are getting raggedy, I get out my good scissors and start whacking away. First the sleeves, cut outside the shoulder seam, and trim away the under seam. I trim away neck and shoulder seams on rest of shirt and cut into 5-8 inch pieces, very crudely. Into the rag drawer in the kitchen they go.

I use them once or twice just like a paper towel, from wiping babies chins, to cleaning up a spill. Then into the washing machine. Almost every load has a few of the little rags. If I clean up something like oil, I throw it away. Because they are washed after 1-2 uses, they stay clean, and because I toss them into the wash as soon as I've used them, nobody really sees them for more than a minute.

It doesn't matter what they look like; strictly a utilitarian function. I'm not sure but others might clean more often because they can use a clean cloth whenever they want.

So I have a large supply of ready, clean, dry rags, and no expense, and no eco-guilt.

Source: My own reluctance to see so much fabric go to waste.

By PENNY K from Westminster, CO

More Solutions

Turn plain Jane t-shirts into something casually interesting, fun and cool! Start by carefully cutting away the neck. Then with scissors at the arm begin cutting strips about 1/4 inch wide inward (upward) the length of your scissors.

Fringed t-shirt.

I use old T-shirts and sweatshirts to make replacement pads for my Swiffer Sweeper. I just cut rectangles large enough to fit around the Sweeper. Make sure you have enough left to poke into the holes that hold it in place. I use the rest of the shirts, sleeves and all, as dust rags. They can be washed or discarded.

Use old T-shirts to cover your suits and coats on hangers. Just slip the T-shirt over the hanging clothes, letting the T-shirt sleeves hang free. The knit T-shirt fabric breathes, allowing air to circulate while keeping dust off your good clothing.

I was getting rid of old clothes and I tried several ways to reuse my t-shirts. I cut off the sleeves at the arm hole and now I have a head band. It's really good for keeping hair out of your face when working outside.

My husband has several "banded collar" shirts that he no longer wears. They are still in good shape and I loved the style. However, they are way too big for me to wear w/jeans or anything else.

A couple dollars worth of faux foliage and some beads can turn a "plain jane" sweater or shirt into "OH WOW" favorite in an evening while watching TV! My 79 cent "twice loved" shirt is now totally fun and attractive!

Adding fall foliage to t-shirt for new look.

Comment Pin it! Was this helpful? Yes

10 Questions

What do you do with old T-shirts?

Answers

I make crochet purses and old t-shirt strips make great handles after braiding them!

Answer this Question

This is a page about making a kitchen mitt from old shirts. Make a clever 5 fingered kitchen mitt by recycling old t-shirts.

Kitchen Mitt From Old Shirts

Read More... Pin it! Was this helpful? Yes

What do you do with old T-shirts?

Better Living Green Living ReusingNovember 2, 2011
🎃
😷
🌻
🎂
https://www.thriftyfun.com/Uses-for-Old-T-Shirts-Guide.html