Washing Machine Reviews

I am looking for information and reviews on washing machines.

In February of 2005 I was looking for a washing machine when my 15 year old one finally gave out. While I would have loved to buy one of those high-end, pretty front loaders, I just couldn't afford to spend the kind of money they were asking for one! Neither did I want the cheapest machine I'd have to replace again soon. I decided on the Maytag 3.2 cu. ft. Atlantis top load washer and have been very pleased with its performance. I guess it is a mid-level machine, costing just under $600 at Lowe's. It had a low Energy Star usage rating, meaning it uses the least amount of energy, so that was important to me. It has dials and buttons, so it's not digital (to me that's just another thing to go wrong), but it is nicely contoured and looks great. Since it is a large capacity machine it has water levels ranging from mini to super loads, multiple wash and spin options for handwashing, for delicates, rugs, sweaters, permanent press, cottons/colors and regular/whites, extra rinse cycles, and several temperature selections, an automatic dispenser for both bleach and fabric softener, and a convenient "finger faucet" for spot treatment. It has a new type of agitator and does a great job cleaning the clothes, and its fairly quiet. I really felt that I was getting a lot of machine for the money, I've had no maintenance problems with it and I am very pleased with this washing machine. The standard warranty it came with is 2-years for parts, 1 year for labor.

I bought a mid-range KitchenAid washer about 15 years ago. I have never had a single problem with it and to date, it has never even needed a repair. I raised my family with it --yes, I'm talking kids, sports, and lots of filthy clothes. It is still going strong. I've considered a front loading washer to save water, but it seems so frivilous when the one I'm using is in such great shape. I wouldn't be surprised if this one lasted at least another 10 years. The only thing that I've noticed, is that it has gotten a little louder. When new, I couldn't even hear when it was running. Now I can hear it, but it's still not loud. It has automatic dispensers for bleach and fabric softener, and all the cycles that I care about (but not as many bells and whistles as some newer models). It has served my family well.

I bought an Amana Stainless Design series ten years ago and the set has been a dream, EXCEPT the finish on the washer top began to rust around the bleach cup!! Just today the washer has begun to sort of grunt loudly, and I suspect a belt trying to go out as it did before on my Maytags years ago, which I changed out myself. Hopefully that's all it is and I can change it IF I can afford a new belt. LOL Good luck and God bless you with your info gathering. : )

Don't buy a front loader! We bought the Kenmore set, washer and dryer HE, and I don't like them at all. Yes, I can get all my laundry done in one day (7 people), but I've had problems (error messages) a bunch of times. My towels stink, which is something I've heard others say. This is a recent problem. We will not be taking them with us when we move again. Next time I will buy an ordinary top-loader with large capacity. I would not recommend a front loader no matter what the salesmen say. They are too much trouble.

New Washer and Dryer
Washer and Dryer Reviews
Consumer Advice Tips for ConsumersSeptember 14, 2006
A load of red dyed clothing in a front loader washing machine.
Dyeing Clothing in the Washing Machine
Making a quilt square on a home sewing machine.
Machine Quilting on a Home Sewing Machine
Washing Machine
Extending the Life of Your Washing Machine
Couple shopping for a front loading clothes washer in a department store.
Front Loading Washer Reviews