Washer and Dryer Reviews

When planning to purchase a washer or dryer, you want to make sure you get the best machine for the money you have to spend. This guide contains washer and dryer reviews.

This is a guide about front loading washer reviews. Choosing a clothes washer can involve some time and research to help ensure that the one you choose has a good track record.

Couple shopping for a front loading clothes washer in a department store.

Read More... Was this helpful? 1

Anyone buy a washing machine recently that they'd like to recommend that is not a front loader?

Thanks,
Holly from Richardson, TX

Answers

I just bought the Cabrio washer and dryer by Whirlpool. It is a top loader and is the most fantastic machine in the world. Since getting this machine I am the luckiest girl in the world. It's HUGE (more than king sized comforter size), SMART AS HECK, and energy efficient. Yes, it does use more water than a front loader, but not by much. It gets my clothes super clean. There is an option for a clear top but I didn't get that. I don't have the time to sit and stare at my clothes being washed and dried. The price is similar to front loaders but worth all the money.

I have bought a Fisher & Peykal. They are wonderful.

Oooh! I'll have to check them out.

Based on internet research and www.epinion.com, am figuring I have approx. 6 months left on my washer before the repair becomes too expensive (like the transmission).
Turns out my washer (Maytag MAV 5000AWW) received good ratings for the first 2 years, and then that model gets poor reviews. All in all, it's an intermittent problem, so there's no use in replacing the item right this minute. The models I have seen in the store are too new to get ratings, so I'll be better off waiting 'til someone vents on the opinion internet site.

--------------
From which store did you purchase the washer? Was it the only store in town or did you comparison shop?

Anonymous

my hubby is a repairman and he likes only GE
good luck,Dar

I bought my Fisher and Paykel at Lowe's. My son works there as an appliance specialist and this is the one that he suggested. When you get done washing your clothes, they are almost dry because they spin so fast. It only takes a little while for them to dry in the dryer. I love my washer.

We too have a Fisher & Peykul. I love it. We've had it for about 3-4 years and though it sounds like a jet taking off, it's not loud it just doesn't sound like any washer you've ever heard, we love love love it. We were told it would, should last for a long time. Our last washer only lasted about 5 years before shooting craps. So far this one has been great.

TC in MO

I have a Kenmore from Sears and at that time Whirlpool made them. I worked in a group home and did lots of laundry and we had GE I also had one of them for years. That is the 2 I would look into again when time comes I need one. I do not know right now who is making Kenmore ones.

Just bought a new washer and dryer after spending a month talking to appliance people. Apparently, Whirlpool has bought out and now makes both Kitchen Aid and Maytag, and puts the Kenmore name on their appliances too. If you choose to buy one of theirs, Kitchen Aid is the top of their line.

I ended up buying a Fisher-Paykal. It is a european company that now has two US factories, and plans to infiltrate our market. They are supposed to be the most energy efficient on the market and have the longest warranty (2 years). Their machines are very basic and easy to repair. The company has a 24 hour a day hotline to talk you through any problem and ship parts directly to you if repairs are needed. The machines are easy to fix yourself if repairs are needed. Like any brand, they have different styles with differing price ranges. Look around, because they refuse to sell all styles to any one company, like Lowe's. Their top loading washer is supposed to be more energy efficient then front loaders. In dryers, they have top loading and front loading styles.

In March, I bought a GE with a stainless steel tub. Also bought the 5 year warranty at Home Depot. The GE is quiet, cleans well, has a setting for my most delicate items, wrings towels etc. almost dry but leaves my permanent press wrinkle-free. I replaced a 25 yr. old Sears made by Whirlpool but they aren't made to hold up that long any more. My repairman said no Whirlpool, Amana, Kitchenaid or Maytag, unless I want to fund his next vacation.

I looked at the Fisher & Peytal but was told by several owners that since it wrings the clothes so well, permanent press will need to be ironed. I don't iron so no thanks. It is supposed to be a great machine except for that but I also didn't want to spend the extra money. It was considerably more expensive.

Our washer and dryer of 10 years is starting to give out. The set was a cheaper one, and now my husband and I would like to replace it with a really high quality set. We are willing to spend some money if we won't have to replace it soon, and the set is energy efficient. Anybody have a set that they love or hate and why? Just want some input on what brands, style, etc. we should be looking into.

Michelle

I've enjoyed visiting this site and finally joined! I would really appreciate your thoughts about this dilemma. In 1992 I purchased a washer and dryer set; the washer has rusted around the bleach dispenser and bottom of framework (near floor). Still, laundry comes out clean except for occasional mystery spots that look like watery tomato juice. Surprisingly, my all-knowing repairman doesn't think the rust is causing the stains.

Whatever the cause, I've gone shopping for a new set, but am reluctant in the extreme to finalize a purchase because so many people have expressed their misery over new expensive purchases that break down too quickly. They also miss their old machines. The washers garner the most complaints, such as: "the motor burned out in less than a year", "the metal tub cracked in two - how is that possible?", "the washer is so water-saving it always smells bad", or "I have to wash everything twice to get it all clean."

Just this week, I spoke with a salesman who didn't have anything that met my needs in stock, but he assured me that manufacturers have realized that simpler is better and are starting to design accordingly. Ya think? He urged me to read a certain magazine for the latest ratings, but that was no help at all when, some time ago, I purchased a top-rated refrigerator that peeled so badly so soon after delivery that the manufacturer replaced it without even a whimper, but, alas, the replacement wasn't much better so I switched brands and cancelled the magazine subscription!

So, dear Readers, I would really appreciate your thoughts about what I should look for (and look out for) in selecting a new side by side (not stacking) washer and dryer. I do about 3 medium loads a week; oversize items such as king size bedspreads go to the dry cleaner or into a jumbo machine at the laundromat. I just want something serviceable that will last a million years. Thank you so much.

Has anyone found a washer/dryer combo that they like? The one I mean is not the stackable kind but one unit that does both.

Nancy from Peabody, MA

Answers

I haven't seen one of those in several years. all the people I know who had them traded for two seperate pieces.

they still make them. we have one.
it is a splendide 2000 we have had it for awhile and I love it

I am on my second Splendide 2000 Changed RV's, Won''t have any other kind. Just make sure it is the vented one. Camping World sells them

I have one in my Motor Home. You just don't want to dry in it.
Takes 4-5 hours since it is a 110.

I am looking for information and reviews on washing machines.

Marg

Answers

In February of 2005 I was looking for a washing machine when my 15 year old one finally gave out. While I would have loved to buy one of those high-end, pretty front loaders, I just couldn't afford to spend the kind of money they were asking for one! Neither did I want the cheapest machine I'd have to replace again soon. I decided on the Maytag 3.2 cu. ft. Atlantis top load washer and have been very pleased with its performance. I guess it is a mid-level machine, costing just under $600 at Lowe's. It had a low Energy Star usage rating, meaning it uses the least amount of energy, so that was important to me. It has dials and buttons, so it's not digital (to me that's just another thing to go wrong), but it is nicely contoured and looks great. Since it is a large capacity machine it has water levels ranging from mini to super loads, multiple wash and spin options for handwashing, for delicates, rugs, sweaters, permanent press, cottons/colors and regular/whites, extra rinse cycles, and several temperature selections, an automatic dispenser for both bleach and fabric softener, and a convenient "finger faucet" for spot treatment. It has a new type of agitator and does a great job cleaning the clothes, and its fairly quiet. I really felt that I was getting a lot of machine for the money, I've had no maintenance problems with it and I am very pleased with this washing machine. The standard warranty it came with is 2-years for parts, 1 year for labor.

I bought a mid-range KitchenAid washer about 15 years ago. I have never had a single problem with it and to date, it has never even needed a repair. I raised my family with it --yes, I'm talking kids, sports, and lots of filthy clothes. It is still going strong. I've considered a front loading washer to save water, but it seems so frivilous when the one I'm using is in such great shape. I wouldn't be surprised if this one lasted at least another 10 years. The only thing that I've noticed, is that it has gotten a little louder. When new, I couldn't even hear when it was running. Now I can hear it, but it's still not loud. It has automatic dispensers for bleach and fabric softener, and all the cycles that I care about (but not as many bells and whistles as some newer models). It has served my family well.

I bought an Amana Stainless Design series ten years ago and the set has been a dream, EXCEPT the finish on the washer top began to rust around the bleach cup!! Just today the washer has begun to sort of grunt loudly, and I suspect a belt trying to go out as it did before on my Maytags years ago, which I changed out myself. Hopefully that's all it is and I can change it IF I can afford a new belt. LOL Good luck and God bless you with your info gathering. : )

Is there a front load washer that has a "spin only" cycle? I have seen only "rinse and spin."

Product: Clothes Dryer

Model: 6300

Manufacturer: BOSCH

Request: I recently purchased a BOSCH clothes dryer after checking it out with a recent review through CONSUMER REPORTS. This dryer is computerized. It has a dial to select what type of clothing is being washed; i.e., cotton, etc. and also has buttons to start and stop it. Does any one out there have this particular model? I am curious to find out how you like it as I have had an old fashioned dryer with minimal selections on it for the last 45 years. Thank you in advance for your help.

joesgirl from Beverly, MA

Answers

I dn't mean to be negative, but really read your warranty info on this product - with all it's computerization it could lead to costly repairs if things aren't covered - just like most cars these days everything that is computerized usually carries a high price tag to fix. I really hope this product works well for you - it sounds great, but just be cautious! - Take care!

I have the BOSCH NEXXT gas dryer. The drum rollers went bad after 18 months, the repair tech tried to tell me the noise was normal. BOSCH does not offer repair manuals.

What is the best washer dryer to buy in the UK?

Tasha from United Kingdom

Answers

Not UK specific, but I'm sure they must have the front load washers there? If so, even though they are more money, you will do yourself a favour by checking these out. It took me a while to even think about the extra cost of one, but now I wouldn't have anything else! Just make sure you get the 2 following things:

The largest opening possible in order to fit a down duvet or king size comforter or large pillows.

A "stop" button so you can stop the machine when you find that extra sock you forgot to throw in at the start.

Mine is a whirl pool and I love it. I can wash 14 (YES 14) pairs of jeans at once! sleeping bags, my very thick queen size down duvet, etc. My whites have never been whiter since it is always using fresh water and still uses less than the regular machine PLUS you have 2 loads in there at a time.

I hope that helps.

Lorrie