Thrifty Toddler Entertainment

We have a lot of toys for my 16 month old son. He's really rough on them, throwing them around and stepping on them. While we have bought a few toys brand new, we prefer to buy them used.

Our local thrift stores have great toys at a good price. One that we frequent bundles them together and many times we get 5 - 10 toys in one bag for $0.59 - $2.00. Also we noticed that he love to play with diaper boxes and paper towel rolls.

I've seen so many people buy brand new toys that will be played with once or twice and then given to the very place I buy used at. Thrift stores are a great way to make your dollar stretch for kids toys, but don't forget about boxes and other safe things around the house that can occupy them for hours.

By Joely from Ceres, CA

This may sound like a good idea, but the thriftiest thing you could do is teach your child to respect his toys! I have a day care, and if the children smash, throw, or step on the toys, they are not allowed to play with them. They don't simply get more toys. That's a reward for being destructive! You are teaching him that we live in a disposable world and mommy and daddy will always replace whatever they recklessly destroy; starts with toys, then clothes, furniture, and cars...etc. Teach him now while he is young and impressionable! They learn easily at his age!

My doc said the same thing he had small kids too and said you can buy them the most costly toy and they will play with the box instead. Trust me I go to the good will store to get my daughter her videos because she loves watching her videos.