Cutting a Toddlers Hair

Category Cutting
Parents have a few concerns about cutting their toddler's hair. Some have to do with technique and others focus on concerns about changing the texture and level of curliness by cutting. This is a guide about cutting a toddler's hair.

If a toddler of 21 months has a severe hair cut, ie all his curls, will his new growth of hair be straight or curly? Is it a good thing for toddlers to have their hair cut regularly in order for the hair to become thicker with each new growth? Thank you.

Merle from Auckland, New Zealand

Answers

Anonymous
Best Answer

Hair texture, curl/no curl and thickness are genetic and change with age and are affected throughout life due to health, chemicals (pills, shots, sad stuff like chemo and radiation, probably food preservatives) and hormonal changes. Haircuts simply have nothing to do with these changes. It's a wives tale that cutting hair is the culprit of the changes just like the one often told that shaving legs will make the hair grow thicker on the legs.

A baby might be born with blond, curly hair but by the time they are five their hair could be dark and straight. The next change often comes at puberty and then again at menopause.

I was a hairstylist for thirty years and saw these changes many times with my regular clients over the years. For myself, I looked almost bald until I was three, after that I had thin, straight hair until my teens and the amount of hair thickened and once I approached menopause my hair became curly.

Take a photo of your baby before the haircut and keep those precious little cut locks for keepsakes in an envelope with the photo :-) Enjoy the experience because it's an awesome life passage :-)

Any tips on how to cut my one year olds fine hair? It's getting a bit long for a boy. What scissors should I get? Do they make blunt tipped hair scissors? How do I get him to sit still? Where should I cut? I don't want to mess up his first hair cut. Should I just take him somewhere since I'm completely clueless? What sort of salon should I look for? How in the world do I get him to sit still for them?

Annaid from Idaho

Answers:

Cutting a Toddlers Hair

I was a cosmetologist for a decade, so I speak from experience: take the little guy to a salon where there are stylists who are very familiar with cutting little people's hair. You will not have to keep him still if you do this, as they will be used to keeping up with squirmy little people. Whenever you see someone with a child with a really nice haircut ask where they got it, that is the easiest way to get a referral. (07/14/2007)

By Kat

Cutting a Toddlers Hair

I usually give mine a lollipop and let her watch tv. She loves getting her haircut now...haha. Good luck! Also, if you do it yourself, start longer than what you want, so you have plenty of room to straighten out mistakes...But I have to also agree with the Kids Kuts recommendation. I have take mine there as well and they really enjoy it.

Amy (07/21/2007)

By amy kingsley

Cutting a Toddlers Hair

Buzz cuts. Also to keep my son interested, I'd give him my jewelry box. I made sure he didn't put anything in his mouth of course, but he loved all the shiny stuff and it kept him busy. Still, if you can't cut it yourself, take him to a place for kids. (01/13/2008)

By heather, MO

Cutting a Toddlers Hair

Any suggestions on cutting a little girls hair? From what I have read, it's all been about little boys. My daughter is 2 years old and is in desperate need of a hair cut. I was cutting her bangs for a while, but I'm actually in need of something more professional. I've heard that pixie cuts on little girls are adorable, but I'm hesitant. Any suggestions? (05/15/2008)

By Christy

Cutting a Toddlers Hair

Take them to the hairdressers. So many toddlers have odd looking haircuts from their parents! (06/08/2008)

By nina

Annaid from Idaho

Answers:

Cutting a Toddlers Hair

By Kat

Cutting a Toddlers Hair

Amy (07/21/2007)

By amy kingsley

Cutting a Toddlers Hair

By heather, MO

Cutting a Toddlers Hair

By Christy

Cutting a Toddlers Hair

By nina

Click to read more ideas from older posts on ThriftyFun.