Colorful Hoop Artwork

Make hoops of color hung on fish line in groups by the craft room, in the windows like stained glass windows, or in the hallway to the day room.

Approximate Time: two sessions about 30 minutes each or as long as it takes.

• large hoops (round)
  • synthetic or silk (I like acrylic diluted thin white synthetic)
  • paint
  • pieces of sponge
  • water bowl for sponge
  • newsprint for table
  • paper towels
  • fish line for hanging
  • thumb tack for hanging

Instructions:

1. Show a finished hoop to your group or the individual. Hang one in the window of the day room or art room before you start.

2. Stretch synthetic or silk in the hoop. Let the resident(s) help you. Trim edges to one inch and again later when done.

3. Give your group sponges and water bowls. Let them handle the sponges.

4. Talk about what colors they like and suggest a theme (sky, rivers, forest, mountains, etc.)

5. Use little cups of diluted colors for project, but use only one at a time near the artist.

6. Guide success. In my picture, a river ran across the hoop. We used several blues. We had juice while the river dried and then we decided what to add. We added sky and clouds (more blue and some white on top). (new sponge) We added trees along the river.

7. The next day we talked about the painting and everyone wanted fish and birds. I had brought in pictures of ponds from a computer and cards (copied) for another project. We got them and the group of ladies now involved in this (8) decided what to add and where to put them.

I left the hoop at the nursing home when it was to be sold and my job eliminated. Best job I ever had. This is just a suggestion. I never thought to make photos of our projects because I loved my job and had no idea the job would end.

By Barbara from Ewing, NJ

Top Comment

Sorry about the loss of job, sounds like you were in your element.

I really had to read this through to get some idea of what you were describing, (not easy writing tutorials for sure), but once I did understand, I can see where this would have been a great group project.

These might also be very nice done as fabric art, using extra fabrics, textures etc. (using a good fabric glue) to hang on a wall vs using paints or dyes to hang in a window.

I'm sure the completed hoop-art piece was beautiful.

Wishing you well in your continued career...sounds like you should stay in the physio or occupational therapy business.